"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 10-22-2004, 05:53 PM   #1
Moved on

Pictures of Indian Goodies

I bought this at Kamdar Plaza, 2646 W. Devon Ave., Chicago, IL, USA:

Btw, that is not aluminum foil and is to be eaten.

The fragrance is exotic, flavored with kewra (aka keora) and maybe rose. I haven't tasted all these yet, but some are marzipan and others are condensed milk concoctions.

Kewra or keora is made from blossoms of screwpine and can be obtained as flavored water or concentrated extract:

Old 10-22-2004, 06:01 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Are you sure it's aluminum? It looks a lot like silver leaf, which, as far as I know, is safe to consume.

Old 10-22-2004, 06:06 PM   #3
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott123
Are you sure it's aluminum? It looks a lot like silver leaf, which, as far as I know, is safe to consume.
Read it again.
Old 10-22-2004, 07:15 PM   #4
Senior Cook

aruzinsky: Thank you introducing these exotic items. The sweets certainly look exquisite. Date halwa appears to be present on the plate. Are rosewater & sandalwood essence amongst the ingredients?

Mixtures of honey, milk, ghee, sugar, and water are known as panchamrita (literally, 'five nectar,' referring to the five foods which comprise the food of the gods).

Interestingly, when baked, the fruit of the screwpine tastes like apricot or custard apple.
Old 10-23-2004, 11:49 AM   #5
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konditor
aruzinsky: Thank you introducing these exotic items. The sweets certainly look exquisite. Date halwa appears to be present on the plate. Are rosewater & sandalwood essence amongst the ingredients?

Mixtures of honey, milk, ghee, sugar, and water are known as panchamrita (literally, 'five nectar,' referring to the five foods which comprise the food of the gods).

Interestingly, when baked, the fruit of the screwpine tastes like apricot or custard apple.
Thank you for your input. I will refresh my memory by smelling some sandalwood essential oil and let you know if I find any present in these.
I am eating a few of these every morning with my coffee. As I write, I am eating the silver roll with the orange filling. The outer part is marzipan, very lightly flavored with kewra and maybe rose and the filling seems to be some kind of fruit mixture that I can't identify with crunchy stuff in it, maybe, seeds. The green filling in the silver white roll has a bland taste; maybe it is citron paste. The orange roll seems to have a different flavor in the marzipan. I definitely like the first roll best. The price for these were $7.95/lb.

If I can get at least one non-Indian in the Chicago area to go to this store, I think I will have accomplished something good. As Arnold Schwartzeneggar says, "Do it now and thank me later."

10/24/04 Addenda:

The orange filling in the marzipan rolls is fig puree similar to that of Fig Newtons.

The green filling in the marzipan rolls is pistachio.

10/25/04 Addenda:

See that yellow rectangular block on the left? It seems to be flavored with curry or fenugreek and is quite disgusting to me.
Old 10-23-2004, 12:45 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruzinsky
Quote:
Read it again.
That is weird! I could of sworn it said the opposite. I have to get my eyes checked.

Btw, my favorite Indian sweet is Gulab Jamon. If your store carrries those, you should definitely give them a try.
Old 10-23-2004, 01:03 PM   #7
Moved on

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aruzinsky
Quote:
Read it again.
That is weird! I could of sworn it said the opposite. I have to get my eyes checked.

Btw, my favorite Indian sweet is Gulab Jamon. If your store carrries those, you should definitely give them a try.
That's okay. That's one reason you should always use quotes. Actually, I didn't know or suspect that it was silver leaf because I would have assumed silver leaf would easily tarnish, especially if eggs are in the food. I thought it was brushed on aluminum powder. I Googled "silver leaf" and found that it is reputed to be an aphrodesiac. http://www.asiafood.org/glossary_2.cfm?wordid=2943
Old 10-23-2004, 02:56 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

aruzinsky, I just have one question:

Do you eat any "regular" food?
Old 10-23-2004, 03:17 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

lol, mudbug. aruz definitely gets my vote for being the one here who eats the most exotic stuff...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 04:00 PM   #10
Head Chef

I had some of those sweets last christmas and they really are good

- WOODROW WILSON
tweedee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None