"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy
Old 11-14-2004, 09:40 AM   #11
Executive Chef
Lemme go peruse my Charleston cookbooks, Audeo - I'm sure I can find something!

marmalady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 08:01 PM   #12
Head Chef
Whew! Charleston Girl is coming to my rescue!

Thanks, marmalady! I'd love to compare!

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is Optional.
Audeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 07:05 AM   #13
Executive Chef
Okay - this is from 'Party Receipts'; the newest cookbook put out by the Charleston Junior League; some of you may know their first one, which has been out forever, and is a staple here in kitchens! "Charleston Receipts"

Party Pralines

Yield - about 40 pralines

2 cups light brown sugar
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup light cream
1tablespoon light corn syrup
1 tablespoon butter
1 tsp vanilla
3 cups chopped pecans

In a large saucepan, combine the sugars, cream and corn syrup; bring to a boil and continue cooking til mixture reaches soft ball stage, 238F on a candy thermometer.

Remove pan from heat, add butter, vanilla, and pecans. Beat the mixture to cool (to speed the process, place the pan in a bowl of ice water).

Drop in heaping teaspoons onto waxed paper; if the mixture hardens too fast, reheat it and add some extra cream to soften it.
marmalady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 07:41 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
In some ways I am a traitor to my people. Don't like pralines at all and cannot bring myself to suck dem heads.

Here's a praline recipe anyway. Only makes 12, so if you like them, double (or triple) the ingredients below. Audeo and other experts, I have no idea as to whether temps below are correct or not - just typing it as I read it.

1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup breakfast cream (no clue how "breakfast cream" is diff from other types)
2 tablespoons butter

Dissolve sugar in cream and boil to the thread test (228F), stir occasionally. Add butter and pecans, cook until syrup reaches soft ball test (236F) and cool. Beat until thickened but not until it loses its gloss and drop by tablespoonfuls onto a greased marble slab or double thickness of waxed paper. The candy will flatten out into large cakes.
Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 08:11 AM   #15
Master Chef
Send a message via MSN to crewsk
I wish I had a scanner so you could see this picture I'm looking at!! This is from my Southern Living 20th Edition Annuual Recipes Cookbook. I have not made any of these but this may be the year for me to try them!

Basic Pralines

Vegetable cooking spray
1 1/2C. sugar
3/4C. packed brown sugar
1/4C. plus 2Tbsp. butter
1/2C. milk
1 1/2C. chopped pecans

Lightly coat a few sheets of wax paper with cooking spray & set aside.

Combine 1 1/2C. sugar & remaining ingredients in a heavy 3 quart saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly, 1 to 2 minutes or until a candy thermometer registers 220F.(You may need to lower the heat with a thinner saucepan, & rely on a candy thermometer instead of a timer.)

Remove from heat, & beat with a wooden spoon 4 to 6 minutes or just until mixture begins to thicken. Working rapidly, drop by tablespoonfuls onto prepared wax paper; let stand until firm. Yield: 2 1/2 dozen.

Orange Pralines: Add 2 1/2 to 3 Tbsp. Cointreau or other orange flavored liqueur before cooking.

Cafe au Lait Pralines: Add 1 1/2Tbsp. instant coffee granules before cooking.

Mocha Pralines: Add 1 1/2 to 2Tbsp instant coffee granules & 1/2C. simi-sweet chocolate morsels before cooking.

Chocolate-Peanut Butter Pralines: Add 1/C, simi-sweet chocolate morsels & 1/4C. creamy peanut butter before cooking.

Peanut Butter Pralines: Add 2Tbsp. creamy peanut butter brfore cooking & stir 1tsp. vanilla into cooked mixture before beating.

Chocolat-Mint Pralines: Add 5(1/2 ounce)chocolate covered peppermint patties before cooking.

Hot Spicy Pralines: Add 1/2tsp. ground red pepper before cooking.

Bourbon Pralines: Add 3Tbsp. bourbon before cooking.

Chocolate pralines: Add 2(1 ounce)squares unsweetened chocolate before cooking.

Vanilla Pralines: Stir 1tsp. vanilla extraact into cooked mixture before beating.

Joe Cahn
New Orleans School of Cooking &
General Store in Jax Brewery
New Orleans, Louisiana
"Treat everyone with politeness,even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are."
crewsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 08:49 AM   #16
Head Chef
Nifty, nifty, nifty!
Neat, neat, neat!
The goodies this year...
Are going to be sweet, sweet, sweet!!
Pain is inevitable. Suffering is Optional.
Audeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:47 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire
bumping a really old thread. from shortly after i joined.

audeo was great, but she was the first member that left that i wondered why after apparently some b.s. excuse. who knows the real reason(s).

ok, so someone enlighten me. what's a praline candy, and how does it relate to shrimp?

i can certainly identify by being stung by shrimp when reaching into a pocket while using them for surfcasting. and i've heard of sugar coated nuts, but what am i missing?

i get the barely near connection to the word prawn, but us jt some historical linguical thing?
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:08 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
Good morning Tom. I am at a loss also. This is one thread that got lost confused along the way. I guess you have to be a Southerner to know what they are talking about.
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:46 AM   #19
Executive Chef
The best I can decribe a praline is it is like a soft version of a nut brittle that melts easily in your mouth. The only relation to shrimp would be stumbling down Bourbon St. after eating some BBQ shrimp, which you may or may not remember doing and having a praline or two for dessert. Of course lots of alcohol was probably involved.
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus & C. Batesii.
CraigC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 04:37 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire
Check out catseye's long post that links to a praline recipe. She starts talking about cookbook of Charleston food and how she didn't know there were different types of shrimp. Then others start talking about shrimp. Just like many threads today that wander somewhat off topic.

The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote