"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 11-23-2004, 04:18 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneT
I had this happen a couple of times. My problem was using the cheaper Compounded chocolate against proper cooking chocolate or normal eating chocolate.
This can happen with top quality chocolate also. I've had this happen with Scharffen Berger and other high-level brands.

Old 11-23-2004, 05:00 AM   #12
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by merstarr
But in general, it's not a good idea to use chips for melting - they have an added ingredient which help them maintain their shape, and therefore, are more difficult to melt
Ghiardelli chips and ghiardelli bar chocolate are the same recipe.

Chips are perfectly fine for using over a double boiler.

As far as making a ganache, though, I go for the more traditional route, a la Psiguyy.

Old 11-23-2004, 05:12 AM   #13
Senior Cook

Re: question about truffles please read

Quote:
Originally Posted by MochaBean04
the problem is that it melts a little and then just turns into a blob. I boil the water then put it on low to melt the chocolate..
i wasted the bag of chips i got today.
Your water should be nowhere near boiling/simmering for melting chocolate. The whole point of a double boiler is very low sustained heat. That's why you're chocolate is clumping (it's called 'seizing').

Even if you do get lucky and your chocolate doesn't seize, those higher temperatures have done irrepairable damage to it. Chocolate has flavor components that are driven off/damaged by temperatures over 140 degrees.

You'd probably save yourself a ton of angst by just shaving the chocolate and adding it to the heated cream. Traditional methods like this were incorporated because they were the best.

The only technology that I have found to improve on this method are new stoves being built with dedicated chocolate elements that don't go above 140 degrees.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:51 AM   #14
Head Chef

Well, MochaBean, you're making progress! The truffle filling is holding its shape! Good job!

The folks here have given you some great advice and should help you prevent your chocolate from seizing again. Just go slow and keep the temp low...

For ganache, I pour hot cream over chopped chocolate. For tempering, I always use a double-boiler method.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:29 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Is there any chance a drop - even a drop! - of water got into your chocolate, and made it 'seize'? The 'melting a little bit and then turning into a blob' almost sounds like it's seizing to me.

BTW, I always melt chocolate in the microwave, and have never had any problems; even white chocolate, which is a very finicky lady!
Old 11-23-2004, 09:01 AM   #16
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
Like marmalady I always use the microwave, on 50%, and check it every minute. I find using a double boiler too stressful!!! I always manage to splash water into the chocolate and get a seized up mess.

For truffles I usually heat the cream and butter but not the chocolate, the heat from the cream soon melts it, though you need to stir very vigurously.

The compounded chocolate is the work of the devil WayneT!!!
Old 11-23-2004, 04:12 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott123
Quote:
But in general, it's not a good idea to use chips for melting - they have an added ingredient which help them maintain their shape, and therefore, are more difficult to melt
Ghiardelli chips and ghiardelli bar chocolate are the same recipe.

Chips are perfectly fine for using over a double boiler.

As far as making a ganache, though, I go for the more traditional route, a la Psiguyy.
You're absolutely right about the Ghirardelli chips and bar chocolate - I just checked the labels. I should have said "SOME" chips have an added ingredient which help them maintain their shape and slow down the melting...
Old 11-24-2004, 07:10 AM   #18
Senior Cook

Quote:
You're absolutely right about the Ghirardelli chips and bar chocolate - I just checked the labels. I should have said "SOME" chips have an added ingredient which help them maintain their shape and slow down the melting...
After a similar conversation a month or two ago, I took a trip to a few supermarkets and researched the formulations. I don't understand why people think there's strange additives to chocolate chips (wax, etc.). There isn't. Semi sweet chocolate chips are just that - tempered semi sweet chocolate. Nothing added.

This includes:

Nestles
Hershey's
Bakers
Ghirardelli
Shop Rite/Pathmark/Stop & Shop/Krogers/A&P/Wegmans (House Brand)
Trader Joes
Tropical Source
Guittard
Old 11-24-2004, 07:30 AM   #19
Sous Chef

I believe you about the chips, but that doesn't explain why I've never had much luck with melting the chips. The texture of the chips just seem different from the bars, at least to me.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:26 AM   #20
Head Chef

Of my notice, unsweeted chocolate commonly found on store shelves (Nestles, Hersheys, Bakers) is just chocolate. Nothing else added.

But, any others, such from bittersweet to german sweet, contain soy lecithin as an emulsifier.

I won't even begin to cite the ingredients used to create commercial "almond bark" and "candy coating" discs that many use for dipping! First of all, I don't have any to read from, but I recall seeing a rather exhaustive list of ingredients and additives, most having hyphens and numerals in and among the 15-letter words.... Also, I like to try and be a wee bit more accurate in what I espouse today... :roll:

By the way, I'm not intending here to knock the use of almond bark or the coating discs. I merely choose not to use them. In my book, whatever gets people into their kitchens making their own candy, in whatever form or fashion, is tops in my book!

Tags
None