Recipe for Carrot Halva

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yakuta

Head Chef
Since it's starting to get chilly in the midwest I normally make this halva which though extremely rich is a comfort food for most Indians. It takes some effort but once you eat it you get hooked on it. It's that wonderful. So for any of you who are adventurous to try an Indian dessert go for it and share your findings with me.

Whole Carrots - Two large bags or approx 15 of them
1 small container of ricotta cheese
1 small container of heavy cream
1 container of condensed milk
1 stick of sweet butter
assorted nuts you like ( I like almonds and pistachios)
pinch of cardamom powder (freshly ground)
pinch of saffron (optional but if you can add that it makes a huge difference in the end result)

Peel the carrots and grate/shred them in a food processor. Here food processor has indeed made our lives easier. Without it, back in India we use to grate it by hand and it was a tiring task.

Pour the heavy cream, ricotta cheese, condensed milk in a heavy bottom dutchoven. Now add the shredded carrots. Stir it all to combine and now place it on a stove on low heat covered. Soon the water from the carrots is going to release. Keep cooking this down until the water is completely gone (requires quite a bit of elbow grease otherwise it will be a burnt mess). Check for sugar to ensure it's to your liking. Sometimes you may have to add a bit more (keep in mind condensed milk alaredy has some sugar). Next add the stick of butter, cardamom, saffron and half of the nuts and fry this halva in the butter until the color deepens to a deep seinna.

Place the halva in a bowl, garnish with the remaining nuts and serve it warm with a cup of coffee or Indian chai.

Back
Top Bottom