Rice Pudding - The Inconsistencies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wonder if some of the variations also come from what kind of rice is used, especially if a recipe is relatively old. It may be that originally something other than modern white rice was used for the recipe.

I personally don't like rice pudding. I like various other rice dishes, but something about the texture of rice pudding throws me.

I always make mine with fresh rice also. Usually my leftover rice has chicken stock or spices in it that would not be so delicious in dessert

Last edited:
Rice pudding without using left over rice? Okay...

If I had to wait for leftovers to make rice pudding, I'd be like pacanis and never would have tasted it.

Rice pudding may have originated as a way to use leftover rice or as a dessert made fresh with cheap ingredients.

My point in this thread was to highlight the WIDE variations in the amounts of the basic ingredients.

If I had to wait for leftovers to make rice pudding, I'd be like pacanis and never would have tasted it.

Rice pudding may have originated as a way to use leftover rice or as a dessert made fresh with cheap ingredients.

My point in this thread was to highlight the WIDE variations in the amounts of the basic ingredients.

I read a recipe from beginning to end, rather than focus on two ingredients. There are many ways to make rice pudding, i.e.

Type of rice
cooking method (stovetop, baked etc.)
Liquid - milk, coconut milk, combination of the two
Addition of other ingredients (apart from the rice & liquid)
Cooking time
Consistency/texture

Here's an example, for Coconut & Lime Rice Pudding. The "recipe" calls for jasmine rice (I'e seen basmati too), coconut milk & milk, etc.

Mahatma - Coconut Lime Rice Pudding - America's Favorite Rice

There is usually a reason for the amounts of basic ingredients - to achieve a "different" end result & create a new/ different "recipe."

If you go to Riceland's site & do a search on "pudding" you will find, Instant, Old Fashioned, variety of rice size, prep methods, & so on.

A word of caution about the site - my virus protection had to block malware(?), but you'll find lots of rice (pudding) recipes to chew on.

Mine too. I love it with raisins! (sorry Kayelle).

Wow, Pac! Never had rice pudding?

No. To tell the truth I like my pudding smooth. I think I only had tapioca pudding one time, too... one spoonful :ermm:

I've eaten the Indian style many times and it can have such interesting flavors, but I wish that it were a bit thicker.

My favorite type is like Cozy Shack brand, nice and thick.

I'm with you - Kozy Shack is my favorite, just wish it had a little more rice in it.

I don't use "leftover" rice. I make enough rice to refrigerate so I can make my rice pudding.

There is no one right way, there is your way and my way...I like my way.

DH has (over)stocked us up on Uncle Ben's perverted rice, will have to do my mom's rice pudding. With raisins and an egg.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom