"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 06-06-2006, 12:32 PM   #11
Cook

I realize this was so long ago, but...

this sounds wonderful, the last recipe posted, only I am in need of some more of your input...
First, I work w/ some ladies that are lactose intolerant, and I choose not to kill them w/ my cooking, anyhow, so can soy milk (ick) be used instead of whole milk? Could I use coconut milk & soy milk together?
Also, why is it that it is not required to simmer the milk, and stir it into the rice in the way a savory risotto is made???
Has anyone ventured to this recipe since OCtober when it was posted?? We are having a potluck Friday, and I really want to make a dessert that won't cause an allergic reaction, and I found some great risotto, blablabla.

Thanks

B.

Old 06-07-2006, 10:18 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeefaninseattle
this sounds wonderful, the last recipe posted, only I am in need of some more of your input...
First, I work w/ some ladies that are lactose intolerant, and I choose not to kill them w/ my cooking, anyhow, so can soy milk (ick) be used instead of whole milk? Could I use coconut milk & soy milk together?
Also, why is it that it is not required to simmer the milk, and stir it into the rice in the way a savory risotto is made???
Has anyone ventured to this recipe since OCtober when it was posted?? We are having a potluck Friday, and I really want to make a dessert that won't cause an allergic reaction, and I found some great risotto, blablabla.
Hi B, well I think that you could use soy milk or coconut milk, both work for regular (non-arborio rice) rice puddings. I've found that almond milk works well in place of regular milk for many desserts too, it's lactose free and would probably add a nice subtle flavour to the finished dish.

Rice pudding can also be made with yogurt instead of milk/cream, perhaps (haven't tried this yet, personally) it could so be made with plain soy yogurt. Here is recipe that uses dairy yogurt: Vanilla Rice Pudding

Good luck with whatever you try, let us know how it turns out

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None