"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-09-2010, 03:35 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire
 
babetoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: escondido, calif. near san diego
Posts: 14,341
Scalloped Pineapple

wasn't sure where to put this. when my mom was in a memphis, tenn hospital we ate in the cafeteria. this dish was just so good. i asked the chef for recipe . took him awhile to pare it down for 8 servings. i make it for many occasions. christmas is one of them.
1/2 cup butter, melted
4 cups fresh bread cubs (about 6 slices)
3 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1 20 oz. crushed pineapple undrained.

combine butter and bread cubes, mix well set aside. combine eggs, sugar and milk. beat with electric mixer just til blended. add bread cubes mixture and pineapple, stirring well. pour into a lightly greased 2 quart baking dish. bake, uncovered at 350 for an hour. i check in at 45 min. 6 to 8 servings.

enjoy
babe

__________________

__________________
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:43 PM   #2
Senior Cook
 
snickerdoodle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Quad Cities, Midwest
Posts: 440
Now how often do you eat at a hospital cafeteria and wind up asking the chef for the recipe?! Just goes to show that sometimes the most yummy foods show up when you least expect it. This looks good! I'll have to try it. Thanks for sharing.
__________________

snickerdoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:44 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kadesma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: california
Posts: 21,371
Babe this looks wonderful and I plan to make it for Ma's Sunday. Thank you
kades
__________________
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 04:04 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
 
babetoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: escondido, calif. near san diego
Posts: 14,341
hope you both enjoy it. my family just devours the dish.
__________________
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 04:07 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 13,999
Babe, I'm so glad you posted this recipe. I've been making a similar recipe for years, and I agree it's just delicious. The first time I made it as a side for a holiday ham and it was gone in a flash. Now I double the recipe and it's still gone long before the other sides. I just checked my recipe and I use half the amount of sugar, so it's good that way too.
Believe me folks, this is really good.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 05:26 PM   #6
Flour Child
 
mollyanne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North Carolina, USA
Posts: 1,392
I'm a believer, kayelle...thank you babetoo for posting it. I've never had it before but I love pineapple
__________________


My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup. ~emily dickinson.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 05:38 PM   #7
Executive Chef
 
Selkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 3,796
It's bread pudding with a can of crushed pineapple.

You could add most anything else in place of the pineapple; apples, peaches, cherries, tangerines, nectarines, fresh plums, etc.

Personally, I would also add a tsp. of vanilla to the basic recipe, but that's just me.
__________________
"Food is our common ground, a universal experience." - James Beard
Selkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:33 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 22,058
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
It's bread pudding with a can of crushed pineapple.

You could add most anything else in place of the pineapple; apples, peaches, cherries, tangerines, nectarines, fresh plums, etc.

Personally, I would also add a tsp. of vanilla to the basic recipe, but that's just me.
That's what I was thinking, except the vanilla. I will probably give this a try as a dessert. We're not big on sweet sides at my house.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:34 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 21,539
that's perfect!! thanks babe, copied and saved.

i was looking for a new and different dish to bring to my parents' house for thanksgiving, and i just happen to have a ripening pineapple in the fridge looking for a recipe.

if i do make this, i'll post results after making it with a fresh pineapple.
__________________
The past is gone it's all been said.
So here's to what the future brings,
I know tomorrow you'll find better things
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:49 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 13,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
that's perfect!! thanks babe, copied and saved.

i was looking for a new and different dish to bring to my parents' house for thanksgiving, and i just happen to have a ripening pineapple in the fridge looking for a recipe.

if i do make this, i'll post results after making it with a fresh pineapple.
Bucky, I'm not so sure about using fresh pineapple for this. Pineapple does weird nasty things to protein, and eggs are protein. I'd hate for you to ruin this. Check out this thread for my nightmare with fresh pineapple.

Starting to cook and experiment
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:03 PM   #11
Traveling Welcome Wagon
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere, US
Posts: 15,716
This sounds really good Babe!

Barbara
Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 03:10 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
 
babetoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: escondido, calif. near san diego
Posts: 14,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
wasn't sure where to put this. when my mom was in a memphis, tenn hospital we ate in the cafeteria. this dish was just so good. i asked the chef for recipe . took him awhile to pare it down for 8 servings. i make it for many occasions. christmas is one of them.
1/2 cup butter, melted
4 cups fresh bread cubs (about 6 slices)
3 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1 20 oz. crushed pineapple undrained.

combine butter and bread cubes, mix well set aside. combine eggs, sugar and milk. beat with electric mixer just til blended. add bread cubes mixture and pineapple, stirring well. pour into a lightly greased 2 quart baking dish. bake, uncovered at 350 for an hour. i check in at 45 min. 6 to 8 servings.

enjoy
babe
forgot to say i use splenda brown sugar blend instead of white sugar. no one has a clue that it is not sugar and i can eat a lot more of it.
__________________
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:44 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 21,539
thanks for the heads up, k-l.
__________________
The past is gone it's all been said.
So here's to what the future brings,
I know tomorrow you'll find better things
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:22 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
 
babetoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: escondido, calif. near san diego
Posts: 14,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
It's bread pudding with a can of crushed pineapple.

You could add most anything else in place of the pineapple; apples, peaches, cherries, tangerines, nectarines, fresh plums, etc.

Personally, I would also add a tsp. of vanilla to the basic recipe, but that's just me.

but then it wouldn't be scalloped pineapple, would it?
__________________
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:50 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 13,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
but then it wouldn't be scalloped pineapple, would it?
Just what I was thinking Babe. Anything could be anything if you change the ingredients.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:14 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,456
"but then it wouldn't be scalloped pineapple, would it?"

But it could be scalloped peaches. :)
__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:36 AM   #17
Executive Chef
 
Selkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 3,796
The point I was making is that there are certain groups of ingredients that are recognizable as a base for other dishes, and in this case it was a "bread pudding" base. Institutional kitchens often prepare bread pudding, and in their search to change it - inexpensively - they sometimes experiment with adding other ingredients.

As for the name "Scalloped Pineapple", here's something of interest which I only offer as a bit of culinary terminology history:

Scalloped

Beyond the cutout shape of scalloping an edge, it's applied to dishes to describe a style of cooking. There can be scalloped potatoes (the most well known), scalloped corn, scalloped tomatoes, etc. What all of these have in common is that they are cooked covered in bread crumbs.

Most people presume that "scalloped" also involves a cream sauce, because they are thinking of scalloped potatoes, which does. However, that isn't usually the case with scalloped tomatoes. Most recipes for scalloped tomatoes just have them dotted with butter and then sprinkled with breadcrumbs; occasionally some grated cheese is sprinkled on as well.

Carlotta C. Greer, in her book School and Home Cooking (Ohio, 1920) certainly presumes that scalloped dishes have crumbs: in a short entry headed "Crumbs for scalloped dishes", she gives directions for making seasoned crumbs.

So are breadcrumbs the determining factor in making a dish scalloped? It may have been at one time, but many people now make scalloped potatoes with a cream sauce, but no bread crumbs. (Though why on earth you'd pass up any opportunity to have buttered bread crumbs is past knowing.)

A few people speculate that for a dish to be called "scalloped" there needs to be grated cheese happening, but many dishes said to be "scalloped" don't involve cheese. In fact, "scalloped potatoes with cheese" already has a name -- it's called "Potatoes Dauphinois" (or Gratin Dauphinois, to give it its full French name.) Besides, the more people hear of all these extra bits on scalloped potatoes such as breadcrumbs and cheese, the more they will just become convinced that they were truly cheated at their childhood dinner table.

It's a trickier matter trying to deduce how scalloped come to be applied to potatoes in the first place. One way might have been a transference of ideas from "scalloped oysters." Scalloped oysters were first cooked in scallop shells, sprinkled with bread crumbs. This may have come about because oyster shells are actually pretty grubby looking, whereas scallop shells clean up very presentably, far more suitable for putting on someone's plate to impress. At some point, a variation arose that had a cream sauce being applied to them as well, and at a later point, the scallop shells were dropped altogether and the oysters were simply arranged in a baking dish, then covered with sauce and crumbs.

Quoted, in part, from "Practically Edible"; c2010
__________________
"Food is our common ground, a universal experience." - James Beard
Selkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:37 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
The point I was making is that there are certain groups of ingredients that are recognizable as a base for other dishes, and in this case it was a "bread pudding" base. Institutional kitchens often prepare bread pudding, and in their search to change it - inexpensively - they sometimes experiment with adding other ingredients.

As for the name "Scalloped Pineapple", here's something of interest which I only offer as a bit of culinary terminology history:

Scalloped

Beyond the cutout shape of scalloping an edge, it's applied to dishes to describe a style of cooking. There can be scalloped potatoes (the most well known), scalloped corn, scalloped tomatoes, etc. What all of these have in common is that they are cooked covered in bread crumbs.

Most people presume that "scalloped" also involves a cream sauce, because they are thinking of scalloped potatoes, which does. However, that isn't usually the case with scalloped tomatoes. Most recipes for scalloped tomatoes just have them dotted with butter and then sprinkled with breadcrumbs; occasionally some grated cheese is sprinkled on as well.

Carlotta C. Greer, in her book School and Home Cooking (Ohio, 1920) certainly presumes that scalloped dishes have crumbs: in a short entry headed "Crumbs for scalloped dishes", she gives directions for making seasoned crumbs.

So are breadcrumbs the determining factor in making a dish scalloped? It may have been at one time, but many people now make scalloped potatoes with a cream sauce, but no bread crumbs. (Though why on earth you'd pass up any opportunity to have buttered bread crumbs is past knowing.)

A few people speculate that for a dish to be called "scalloped" there needs to be grated cheese happening, but many dishes said to be "scalloped" don't involve cheese. In fact, "scalloped potatoes with cheese" already has a name -- it's called "Potatoes Dauphinois" (or Gratin Dauphinois, to give it its full French name.) Besides, the more people hear of all these extra bits on scalloped potatoes such as breadcrumbs and cheese, the more they will just become convinced that they were truly cheated at their childhood dinner table.

It's a trickier matter trying to deduce how scalloped come to be applied to potatoes in the first place. One way might have been a transference of ideas from "scalloped oysters." Scalloped oysters were first cooked in scallop shells, sprinkled with bread crumbs. This may have come about because oyster shells are actually pretty grubby looking, whereas scallop shells clean up very presentably, far more suitable for putting on someone's plate to impress. At some point, a variation arose that had a cream sauce being applied to them as well, and at a later point, the scallop shells were dropped altogether and the oysters were simply arranged in a baking dish, then covered with sauce and crumbs.

Quoted, in part, from "Practically Edible"; c2010

Thanks, Selkie. That was fascinating. I appreciate your doing the research. I was always confused by what scalloped meant.
__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:40 AM   #19
Senior Cook
 
snickerdoodle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Quad Cities, Midwest
Posts: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
(Though why on earth you'd pass up any opportunity to have buttered bread crumbs is past knowing.)
Quoted, in part, from "Practically Edible"; c2010
No kidding!
snickerdoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 12:15 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 21,539
i would have thought scalloped had more to do with the layering of ingredients than breadcrumbs. interesting stuff.
__________________

__________________
The past is gone it's all been said.
So here's to what the future brings,
I know tomorrow you'll find better things
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.