Scottish plum pudding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ishbel

Executive Chef
4 oz SR flour
4 oz currants
4 oz raisins
4 oz breadcrumbs
4 oz moscovado sugar
4 oz shredded suet
1 large apple, peeled, cored and chopes
half teaspoon mixed spice
half teaspoon cinnamon
half teaspoon nutmeg
2 large eggs
juice and rind of half a lemon
4 tablespoons Navy Rum
1 cup milk (may not need all of this quantity)

Grease a 2 pint pudding basin. Mix all dry ingtedientws together in a large bowl. Add eggs, lemon and rum and sufficient milk to achieve a soft, dropping consistency. Put mixture into the pudding basin. Cover with a circle of greaseproof paper and kitchen foil and steam for 3 hours.

Often served with hard sauce (aka brandy or rum butter) or steaming hot custard.

as you often say, Izzy, two countries separated by a common language! Not a plum in sight in that recipe for this Yank.

how many years do I have to serve in HRH's Navy to get the rum?

Navy rum is a dark rum that used to be issued to all ship's ratings as a daily ration.... It is a usual caribbean rum but distilled to British tastes, I suspect!

Plum in this sense is any preserved or dried fruits...:)

This was really posted to really muddy the waters re British 'puddings'!!!!

I'm muddied as well. What are mixed spices (similar to pumpkin pie spices?) and what's a pudding basin?

Don't quote me Andy, but I think it is a mix of cinnamon, allspice, cloves, ginger and nutmeg! We just buy it in a small pot!

A pudding basin is a basin for making puddings in! Usually it is narrower at the bottom than the top, can be pyrex or pottery or even metal.

Back
Top Bottom