Shortbread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Psiguyy said:
Ishbel's method has definitely improved my standard shortbread recipe. Using the KA to cut in the butter at the end instead of creaming with sugar first is also a lot easier. The butter came straight out of the fridge. Didn't have to wait for it to come to room temp so it could be creamed.

And it improved mine, as well! I made the same change as you, psiguyy and really noted the improvement in the texture.

And Goodweed, your "happy accident" in cooking temps is something I also played aroud with here over the holidays to the same end result!

Thanks to all for the tweaks to shortbread!

As with all good shortbread cookies, store them in an airtight metal or glass container. Cookies will taste even better in a month.

Oh my gosh, who knew? Like they'd ever sit around long enough for the month to come to an end, but I'd be 37 lbs weightier.:wacko:

I saw mention made of treacle and don't really know what that is. Could someone explain it please?

My grandmother had a friend, Mrs. Anderson, who made the most beautiful shortbread I have ever tasted or seen. Every Christmas she sent a tin of them, each piece handpainted with tiny sprigs of food-coloring holly and scalloped on the edges. The taste was pure butter, sugar and, I think, a bit of almond extract.
She never would share the recipe with Grandma, and when she passed, she took it to her grave with her. She didn't even share it with her daughter.

Oh, that is SO sad, Constance. Fancy having a really good family recipe and not even letting the next generation know how to make it. :(

Ishbel, please explain to me castor sugar and corn flour. Is corn flour the same as corn starch? Is castor sugar the same as powdered sugar?

Caster sugar is finer than granulated, but not as fine as icing sugar! If I have no caster in the house, I 'zuzz' some granulated for a couple of pulses..

I'm almost certain that our cornflour is your constarch. But I don't use cornflour, I use rice flour!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom