"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 11-14-2004, 10:37 PM   #11
Hospitality Queen

Yule log...buche de noel... I'd forgotten about those! I've never made one, but have always thought they were so pretty! I did attempt a croquembouche (sp?) out of Martha's Christmas book about 15 years ago, and gave up! (I was still quite a novice)

I can't do a liquer-type goodie, as these ladies need to drive home, but I think I may put some in their goodie bags.
(I have them email me 2 weeks in advance with their recipes, and then I make a cookbook for each guest with cute clip art and fonts, and then tie it with a pretty french ribbon. I also put a couple of ornamets and homemade stuff in the bags)

Old 11-15-2004, 12:53 AM   #12
Hospitality Queen

Oh - and Kyles,
I know there are plenty of gals out in your community that are waiting for a get together! It just seems that everyone waits for someone else.

You'd be right at home here - we've even got an English born friend here (we all just adore her accent!) who is hopefully bringing her special english tea for this party (her mum sends it from home)

Old 11-15-2004, 09:44 AM   #13
Head Chef

What a lovely thing to do, jkath, in compiling a recipe book to remember the gathering! I bet it's lovely, too!

How thoughtful!!!
Old 11-15-2004, 11:51 AM   #14
Hospitality Queen

Thank you -
btw, there was a thread that Kyles came up with about a month ago that was on "what 5 recipes would you pass on"...
my Chocolate Euphoria Cookies were from one of the cookie exchange parties.
(Even though we aren't allowed to repeat any of the previous years' treats, the originator of those will be begged to bring them anyway.)

I think some of you all should start this tradition this year!
Old 11-15-2004, 06:48 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to runninduo
There was recently a recipe on the cover of Women's Day magazine for a 3 layer Cheesecake (2 diff kinds of chocolate and pumpkin). It was very yummy............and very festive looking. The three layers create a great presentation on their own, but then some of the chocolate topping drizzles down and it looks even better.

Do you have access to a copy of the Magazine? If not, I can type it up for you.

Laur
Old 11-15-2004, 10:10 PM   #16
Hospitality Queen

Thanks, Laur! I found it on the website - you are right -
it sure looks pretty!

For those of you who also want it....

Double Chocolate Pumpkin Cheesecake

Serves 12
Active: 45 min/Total: 2 1/2 hr (plus 1 hr cooling in oven and at least 4 1/2 hr chilling)

Planning Tip: Cake can be completed up to 1 week ahead. Cover and refrigerate.

Crust
1 1/2 cups purchased chocolate cookie crumbs
1/2 stick (4 Tbsp) butter, melted

Filling
3 bricks (8 oz each) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese (Neufchâtel), softened
1 cup sugar
2 Tbsp cornstarch
3 large eggs
1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup (6 oz) milk-chocolate chips, melted and cooled
1 cup canned 100% pure pumpkin
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 cup (6 oz) semisweet chocolate chips, melted and cooled

Chocolate Glaze
3 oz bittersweet baking chocolate
2 Tbsp stick butter
1 Tbsp light corn syrup

1. Heat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8-in. springform pan with nonstick spray. Have ready a roasting pan larger than the springform pan.

2. Crust: Put crumbs in a small bowl; stir in butter until evenly moistened. Press firmly over bottom of pan. Bake 8 to 10 minutes until set. Cool on rack. Wrap outside of pan with heavy-duty foil. Reduce oven temperature to 300°F.

3. Filling: Beat cream cheese, sugar and cornstarch in a large bowl with mixer on medium speed until smooth, scraping sides of bowl several times with a rubber spatula. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, just until blended. Beat in sour cream and vanilla to combine. Divide batter evenly between 3 medium bowls. Stir melted milk chocolate into 1 bowl; pour into crust in an even layer. Whisk pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice into another bowl. Carefully spoon over chocolate layer to cover, then gently smooth into an even layer with an offset spatula (take care batters don’t run together). Stir semisweet chocolate into remaining batter. Carefully spoon over pumpkin layer; spread carefully as above.

4. Set springform pan in center of roasting pan. Place roasting pan in oven rack and add boiling water to come halfway up sides of springform pan.

5. Bake 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours until set, but center still jiggles slightly when shaken.

6. Turn off oven (leave door closed); let cake cool in oven 1 hour (if cake hasn’t pulled away from sides of pan, carefully run a thin knife around edge of pan to release cake). Remove foil. Cool cake in pan on a wire rack. Cover; refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.

7. Chocolate Glaze: Stir ingredients in a small saucepan over low heat until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat; cool slightly.

8. Remove pan sides; place cake on serving plate. Spread glaze over top to edge (some may drip down side of cake). Refrigerate until glaze sets.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:04 AM   #17
Senior Cook

Anyone ever try making a gingerbread house? I buy the kit from BJs, every year ($9.99) and enjoy making this with my daughter the day after Thanksgiving. The gingerbread house already comes with the pieces, you just have to assemble the house with hard icing and then decorate with the candies they have or add your own. We put it on a foil covered try and it really looks lovely in the dining room table, people pick off the candies and break a piece of gingerbread if they can.
I also make gingerbread cookies, gingerbread is a stiff, hard dough to work with, I find the box mix just fine for me.
After Jan 1st, we throw it out, and just make another the next year.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:48 AM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by debthecook
Anyone ever try making a gingerbread house?
What fun memories I have of this! Ooey, gooey royal icing, tons of wee candies and sprinkles, and unbounded laughter and fun! What a wonderful tradition that has become so much simpler and easier to accomplish, thanks to those mixes!!!
Old 11-16-2004, 09:51 AM   #19
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Deb the kids & I made our first gingerbread house last year from the kit from BJ's. Hubby bought it as a surprise for us. I had always wanted to make one. We had a lot of fun together getting all sticky & messy & the end result was darling!
Old 11-16-2004, 12:48 PM   #20
Hospitality Queen

What a wonderful idea! I've only made one, and that was when I was around 18 or 20. It was quite intricate, and I put about a gazzilion coats of varnish on it, for preservation. Mom brought it out about 4 years in a row for decoration.

Thanks so much for all the input!!!

(PS - what's BJ's?)

Tags
None