"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy
Old 11-14-2004, 10:43 AM   #1
Hospitality Queen
Show-Stopping Sweets!

A friend and I share hosting an annual cookie exchange each Christmas. What started as a group of 5, will now be possibly a group of 20+.
This year it's back at my house, and besides the cookies I'm "exchanging", I'll need to make other sweets for the actual party-goers.

I need something that's a real show-stopper, as far as presentation.

Also, I'll be serving coffee and mulled cider (W&S). Any other ideas?

Thanks so much!

Come visit my foodie blog: www.SockmonkeysKitchen.com
This week's topic: Pinterest and Potatoes
jkath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 11:28 AM   #2
I think whether or not a dessert is show stopping is how you present it.

I like to make my orange cake recipe [which I shared on other threads] in a bundt cake pan, then either use a orange rum glaze or dust with powdered sugar. Then the cake is put on a lacy doily on a pedestal cake plate. I garnish lavishly with orange slices, sugared grapes, mint leaves, fresh strawberries, etc.

Since it is the holidays, I like to serve Toll House pies. They are wonderful with fresh whipped cream or luscious quality ice cream.

Toll House Pie

2 eggs
1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. finely packed brown sugar
1 c. butter, melted and cooled
1 (6 oz.) pkg. (1 c.) Nestle's Toll House semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 c. chopped pecans or walnuts
1 (9-inch) unbaked pie shell
If using frozen pie shell, use only deep dish style and thaw completely. Place on cookie sheet; bake 10 minutes longer.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In large bowl, beat eggs until foamy. Add flour and both sugars. Beat until well blended, and blend in melted butter. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts. Pour into pie shell. Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour. Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream. Makes 1 pie.

choclatechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 11:44 AM   #3
Head Chef
Send a message via MSN to kyles
I don't have any suggestions, only to say Jkath that I am moving to your neighbourhood coz I want to be your friend. People don't do things like that here!!!! In fact, people don't bake, full stop end of story. :(
kyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 04:14 PM   #4
Executive Chef
What about a 'Yule Log'? I've been thinking of doing this for Christmas dessert - they always look WOW, especially with tlie little meringue mushrooms!
marmalady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 04:25 PM   #5
Master Chef
I got this recipe off the Hershey's website. I got a couple of other recipes that I will post also.

• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 cup sugar
• 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, softened
• 4 eggs
• 1-1/2 cups (16-oz. can) HERSHEY'S Syrup
• MINT CREAM CENTER (recipe follows)
• CHOCOLATE GLAZE (recipe follows)

1. Heat oven to 350° F. Grease 13x9x2-inch baking pan.

2. Combine flour, sugar, butter, eggs and syrup in large bowl; beat until smooth. Pour batter into prepared pan.

3. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until top springs back when touched lightly in center. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Spread MINT CREAM CENTER on cake. Cover; refrigerate. Pour CHOCOLATE GLAZE over chilled dessert. Cover; refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving. Cover; refrigerate leftover dessert. About 12 servings.

MINT CREAM CENTER: Combine 2 cups powdered sugar, 1/2 cup (1 stick) softened butter or margarine and 2 tablespoons green crème de menthe (OR 1 tablespoon water plus 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon mint extract and 3 drops green food color may be substituted for crème de menthe) in medium bowl; beat until smooth.

CHOCOLATE GLAZE: Melt 6 tablespoons butter or margarine and 1 cup HERSHEY'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips in small saucepan over very low heat. Remove from heat; stir until smooth. Cool slightly.
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 05:59 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Could that toll house pie also be baked in an extra large ready to use Keebler crust?

It sounds delicious!
Vegas Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 06:41 PM   #7
You could bake it in any crust you want, if you make sure you have enough batter to fill it. Of course you will also have to adjust the baking time.

I am sure you can do it.

Yes, this is a delicious pie. I used to bake them by the dozens to sell for church fund raising activities. I remember one day baking 40 of them [summertime and no air conditioning]. I thought I would die, but we kept getting orders!
Old 11-14-2004, 06:53 PM   #8
Senior Cook
Whew, you might have been dyin'!

I think I'll try it for Thanksgiving - thanks!
Vegas Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 06:59 PM   #9
Oh. I forgot. This pie is best served warm!

If you make it ahead of time -- it is so easy you can make it at the last minute, microwave it a bit to heat it up before serving it with whipped cream or ice cream.

You will have your family begging for more, if they like rich desserts!
Old 11-14-2004, 08:22 PM   #10
Head Chef
I always make a Buche de Noel...with meringue mushrooms and well-stroked ganache bark. Tis beautiful and quite filling! And I make certain everyone has several bourbon-soaked cherries, then they're gullible for anything!

Jkath! You're going to have some fun!!! 20+ people? Wow!

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is Optional.
Audeo is offline   Reply With Quote