"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 10-23-2006, 05:01 PM   #11
Master Chef

I'm not a coffee drinker and I can't make it very well either........in fact a friend of mine came over recently and I attempted to make her a pot and she told me, "I can pee darker than that" .

Needless to say I need help in determing how to do the strong coffe part.

Old 10-23-2006, 05:07 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzlininIN
I'm not a coffee drinker and I can't make it very well either........in fact a friend of mine came over recently and I attempted to make her a pot and she told me, "I can pee darker than that" .

Needless to say I need help in determing how to do the strong coffe part.

If you make 1 cup of coffee (which my coffee maker doesn't read the water until it guages 3 cups so I always have to make 3) - for each cup you HAVE to make in yours use 3 TBS per cup - that's what I do. My normal coffee is 1 TBS (not level but not rounded either) per cup mark on my coffee pot.

Gretchen - you could probably answer this - if someone just didn't like coffee could they use an extra strong hot chocolate - in keeping with the chocolate theme?

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 11:32 PM   #13
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
Just made this tonight, and boy does it smell great. I wish I could try it tonight, but I'm going to let it set the requisite amount of time before testing. I plan to save most of this to serve on Thanksgiving, but wanted to leave enough time to make another if needed. Also, for any who have tried this already, what would you think about adding a layer of ganache to it after it sets for a couple of days first? I think it might add a nice textural variation to it.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:46 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Last week I started to make this,but did not because of the whipping cream issue. I looked up countless recipes for a flourless chocolate cake and was not able to determine if the cream was to be added to the batter, or just used in the presentation.

What do you all think? Should the cup of cream be added to the batter, and when? Or do you have another TNT recipe for a flourless choc cake??

I really want to make this, but am shy because of my reservations regarding the ingredients.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:32 AM   #15
Everymom

Beth, the heavy cream I think is to be beaten into whipping cream and served on top of the cake. That would be my best guess anyway. Hopefully kitchenelf will be along shortly to tell you for sure.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:42 AM   #16
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
Yes, I'm fairly sure the cream is to be whipped and added on the side, the mixture was quite runny enough without adding an additional cup of cream to it. There was a point where I was having trouble getting the sugar to incorporate properly, it was still very grainy in the molten chocolate mixture, and I didn't want to get the heat so high as to burn the chocolate. At that point I thought a little bit of extra liquid would be nice, but on towards the end you could tell that the cream was meant to be added on the side.

After it sets the requisite 2 days I'll be sampling a little slice of it, and possibly adding the ganache, so I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:47 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

I will go back and edit/clarify that issue. Yes, the whipping cream is just to be whipped and used as a garnish - well, edible garnish! LOL

I will go clarify.

college cook - wait a minute here - you are going to add ganache to a cake that is nothing but pure chocolate anyway? Is there supposed to be a problem with that? Sounds heavenly. And I have only been able to wait the REQUIRED 3 days before digging in. They say that if you wait longer though it's even better! I can't wait to hear how the ganache is with it!

Old 11-06-2006, 01:33 PM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf

Gretchen - you could probably answer this - if someone just didn't like coffee could they use an extra strong hot chocolate - in keeping with the chocolate theme?
Yes, I would like to know about this, too. My boyfriend detests any form of flavor of coffee, but he would love this dessert otherwise.

What would be a good substitute for the coffee? How about a nutty liqueur, like Frangelico?

Lee
Old 11-06-2006, 01:42 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSis
How about a nutty liqueur, like Frangelico?

Lee
Holy Cow! This recipe just keeps getting better doesn't it? Ganache, Frangelico? I can only assume liquid is liquid - but I'm not a baker so don't trust what I say!!!!

Old 11-06-2006, 01:46 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Send a message via ICQ to Gossie Send a message via Yahoo to Gossie
You guys are evil!!! :-)

Tags
None