Slice of Sin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Regarding the use of coffee in this recipe, I was shocked to find that there is no trace of coffee flavor at all! (No i didn't dig in early, I just stuck my finger in the batter to try it out :D) And I actually used espresso, b/c I really like the coffee/chocolate flavor combination. Maybe the flavor comes out after it has set long enough? In the event that I still cant taste my coffee flavor, I think I will be experimenting with other liquids. I really love Cruzan Rum Creme' and I think it might be a good candidate for replacing the coffee. Anyways, I still have 2 more days until I can sample it, with and without the ganache. I'll let you know how it comes out.

For all you guys wanting to use some form of alcohol (someone can say this is right or I'm crazy) remember that the alcohol does NOT set up - not that this wouldn't be good a little soggy too though! :ROFLMAO:

college cook - do you actually like coffee? Maybe if you like coffee it's not noticeable but if you abhor coffee it might be VERY noticeable. I don't know because I LOVE coffee!

Hey all, tried out the dessert and it was quite good. It turns out that that coffee flavor, while not noticeable in the uncooked batter, was definitely present in the finished product, and paired wonderfully with all of that chocolate.

As for the alcohol not setting up as well as the coffee, I'm not sure that I understand why it wouldn't set up. Coffee is basically just water infused with the flavor of the beans, whereas alcohols are probably slightly heavier, since they are a form of sugar. I don't know for certain of course, I think the only way to find out for certain would be to try it.

Oh- and I had another idea for alcohols to add... Kahlua!

Hi college - thanks for the report.

Yes, I, too, wondered about the caution that alcohol would not "set up", with the implication that coffee does.

What do you mean, kitchenelf?

Lee

Come christmas time, I'll pick up a bottle of Kahlua and make this again, substituting the Kahlua for coffee. I imagine the flavor will be similar, since Kahlua is a coffee liqueur.

If you put a bottle of ANY spirits (exclude wine) in the freezer it will not freeze. You can put a bottle of vodka, a bottle of Bailey's, a bottle of scotch in the freezer - it will NOT freeze. That's what I'm talking about "not" setting up. In the refrigerator it's going to stay fairly liquid depending on the amount used. NOTE I said depending on the amount used. There are chocolates made with cordials - they have runny parts inside the chocolate. You can make a pecan pie with Kahlua and it will set up fairly well because the Kahlua isn't a HUGE part of the product.

The water this is in coffee WILL freeze.

I would also like to say that if anyone tries this it just CAN'T be that bad either :LOL: It just may have a totally different texture.

Last edited:
OK, I've been thinking about this - freezing might be the wrong term to use because this stuff isn't to be frozen - duh!!!!

So, what it boils down to is - Idunno - where the "freezing" got into my brain I will never know! But it did. So there. :ermm: :chef: :-p :dry:

I'm thinking Kahlua may set up better than most because of the amount of sugar in it. You're right about the freezing, but I'm thinking that the reason the coffee sets up might be because the liquid binds to the egg.

I'll test it eventually and post about the outcome.

And btw, I wish I could send all of you a slice of this with the ganache topping! I'm no chocoholic by any stretch of the word, but this is absolutely heavenly!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom