Ingredients for 8 Servings
1 cup Butter or margarine, softened
1 cup Powdered sugar
2 cups Flour
1 oz Grated semisweet chocolate (about 1/3 cup)
1 cup Whipping cream, whipped and sweetened
2 pint Baskets fresh California strawberries sliced
Whole fresh California strawberry, for garnish
1. In mixer bowl cream butter and sugar.
2. On low speed gradually mix in flour and chocolate.
3. Form dough into 2 balls, one a little larger than the other.
4. On floured surface roll each ball to a circle about 7 inches in diameter (one should be thicker than the other).
5. Using board spatula, gently transfer each circle to greased baking sheet.
6. Prick surfaces generously with a fork.
7. Bake in 350-degree oven 20 to 30 minutes until just golden.
8. While still warm, cut thinner circle into 8 equal wedges.
9. Transfer all to rack to cool completely.
10. To serve: Place shortbread circles on the plate. Top with whipped cream and sliced strawberries, reserving a dollop of cream for garnish.
11. Set shortbread wedges into cream at an angle, points toward center.
12. Top with a dollop of whipped cream and whole strawberry.
13. Cut into wedges.
14. Note: Shortbread can be made ahead and stored for several days wrapped in plastic wrap, or frozen for longer storage.