"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 11-18-2004, 03:19 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Superfine sugar

is not confectioners, I know that. I also know that you can grind granulated sugar to get superfine....but not ever having seen superfine sugar, I'm not sure how fine to process it. anyone care to describe the end result for someone who really should know this? I am making an angel food cake and it calls for it, so I really think I should use it instead of granulated like I usually do. This is a light cake and I don't want to screw it up. Thanks

southerncook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 03:23 PM   #2
Master Chef

I’ve made lots of angel food cakes with regular granulated sugar so you may not have to worry. In my grocery store, superfine is in with the other sugar in the baking aisle. Domino’s makes it in a small box. I’d maybe compare its fineness to a fine table salt? Anyway, if you still want to use it instead of regular sugar, I’d try putting regular sugar in your processor and just pulsing a few times. That should do the trick.

Old 11-18-2004, 03:28 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Or just get some Splenda. Its consistency is pretty fine already. I can't taste a difference from regular sugar in baked goods.
Old 11-18-2004, 04:05 PM   #4
Head Chef

Love Splenda!

Southerncook, PA described it very well...about the same grain size as table salt, slightly finer perhaps. But the whole point here would be to make the sugar easier to dissolve. Like PA, I've made angel food cakes with regular granulated sugar successfully, but whites just seem to foam more quickly with a finer grain of sugar. (I do it several food processor batches at a time and store in large quart mason jars.)
Old 11-18-2004, 08:36 PM   #5
Executive Chef

If you look on the pkgs of 'regular' sugar in the market, you'll see 'superfine' on them; Domino's is one brand that makes superfine, and I think I've even seen it on a store brand, although can't remember which store right now. But i'tll say right on the pkg; it's not a 'special dealie' you have to order from a specialty store.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:50 PM   #6
Senior Cook

I've put sugar in a blender many times to make it finer. If you blend for too long, it will turn into a confectioners type of sugar, real powdery.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:42 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to pst1can
I do the same as Deb....but I use my food processor....few whirls gets it to the texture I am looking for....oh, don't over fill the bowl or you will be a sweeping!
Old 11-19-2004, 05:41 PM   #8
Senior Cook

I found it today, swear it's never been there before..domino's puts it in a milk carton...someone must have special requested it. Now I wish they'd keep the panko in stock..glad I bought 2 boxes last time I saw it.

when will they ever learn...
southerncook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 10:51 PM   #9
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pst1can
I do the same as Deb....but I use my food processor....few whirls gets it to the texture I am looking for....oh, don't over fill the bowl or you will be a sweeping!
I have heard that putting sugar in your food processor can scar the bowl sort of like if you used sandpaper on it. Have you guys ever experienced that?
Old 11-19-2004, 10:57 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to pst1can
I have never had a problem with that....my old cuisinart lexan bowl has not shown any sign of wear. I guess the big reason is that you only need to pulse the sugar 5-6 times and you have the fine sugar that you need.

Tags
None