"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 11-17-2005, 07:10 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

We are having at Cades request a chocolate pie topped with whipped cream and shaved chocolate, Dh, wants some of Connie's Fresh Apple Cake, Person who does our deliveries at the store adores mince meat pie and DW never will make it so for the past 2 years, I've supplied him with a mincemeat pie and hard sauce..Same again this year, I love that old duck also 1 pumpkin pie and 1 pecan for s-i-l and son,,The rest of em are tooooo late for requests..Izzzz through
kadesma

Old 11-17-2005, 07:18 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
we always have 4 types of pies
pumpkin
chocolate
pecan and
apple cranberry

Old 11-17-2005, 07:24 PM   #13
Master Chef

Kadesma, I think I'm going to do the apple cake instead of the pie this year. I could make that several days ahead of time. In fact, I could make the cake this weekend and freeze it...then thaw and put on the frosting next week. I haven't fixed it for 20 years.
I also got some frozen puff pastry, and have that commercial fruit filling that I've been talking about forever. I could do something kinda tricky with that.
HB's going to be at deer camp all weekend, so I'll have a chance to do something productive. Of course, I'll also be expected to send out some food for them one night.
I have one of those all morning doctor's appoints next Wednesday with an ENT, so that knocks out my Wednesday morning cooking. I'm going to have to get EXTRA organized.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:49 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMediger
I normally make a raspberry bottom cheese cake and offer 2 or 3 different sauces (2 fruit - raspberry or blueberry and 1 chocolate). That seems to satisfy those who don't want pumpkin pie.
That sounds interesting. Can you post the recipe for me? I'd appreciate it!
Old 11-17-2005, 11:38 PM   #15
Head Chef

Well, corazan, could you make one dessert that would satisfy his fruit need and your chocolate need?

Like a Black Forest cake, or a chocolate cherry tiramisu, or a raspberry chocolate trifle?

Lee
Old 11-18-2005, 03:54 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Everything I'm reading sounds so good and makes my mouth water but like was said before "too late to take orders". If it isn't already on the menu, I"m not making it. I'm trying to keep in mind that this probably isn't "the last supper" for all of us. Many times lots of the stuff isn't touched until the day after because we re so full of turkey, etc. Also, I'm going to ask that anyone who makes a request be willing to do their share of getting the work done. - before and after the meal.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:41 AM   #17
Executive Chef

We don't celebrate Thanksgiving here in the UK - but this pudding is one of my husband's favourites. I think I copied it from a TV programme!

200g fresh dates, stoned and finely chopped
175g self-raising flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tsp coffee essence
3.5 fl oz milk
3oz unsalted butter
5oz sugar
2 eggs, beaten just to break the yolks
vegetable oil, for greasing
whipped double cream, to serve

Butterscotch Sauce
3 tbsp unsalted butter
8 tbsp golden brown sugar
7fl oz whipping cream
7fl oz whisky
1 tbsp vanilla essence

Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
Pour 175ml of boiling water over the dates and set aside to soak and cool.
Sift the flour and soda together. Add the essence to the milk. Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs slowly, waiting until each addition has been incorporated each time, before adding more. Fold the flour and milk alternately into the egg mixture. Lastly, pour in the dates. The mix will be rather light and runnier than a cake batter.

Ladle into 6-8 greased individuals moulds and place on a baking sheet in the centre of the oven. Bake for about 30 minutes, until the puddings are firm and starting to pull away from the side of the moulds. Remove from the oven and turn out on to a wire rack to cool.

To make the butterscotch sauce, put the butter in a medium-sized pan over a medium-high heat. When the butter is bubbling, add the sugar. Stir together for about three minutes, until the sugar has dissolved, and the whole mass is foaming, and bubbling.

Carefully pour in the cream, followed by the whisky, and turn down the heat. Let it all come together and boil for another minute or two, and then remove from the heat. Add the vanilla. Allow to cool slightly. To serve, place the puddings on warm plates and ladle a generous spoonful of the sauce over each one. A spoonful of whipped cream on top finishes the dish.

The puddings will keep well for a couple of days, covered with clingfilm. Reheat for just a minute or two in the microwave or covered in some of the sauce in a medium oven.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:57 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

My fav thanksgiving dessert is Okinawan Sweet Potato Pie. I've got a lot of wow's from my guests year after year. Check out my recipe on my Not-So-Secret Potluck Recipes. http://www.portaloha.com/recipes/OkPotPie.HTM

Photo is at http://www.pbase.com/portaloha/image/43633140.

p.s. Sorry, I don't know how to post photo here. This is my first time.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:11 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Here's a beautiful and little different dessert -

PEAR AND ALMOND TART

8-10 servings

Crust:

2 large egg yolks
2T apple cider (I use 1T cider vinegar)
1 ¼ cups AP flour
2T sugar
½ tsp salt
9T chilled unsalted butter, cut in small pieces

Filling:

½ cup packed almond paste (about 5 oz.) - NOT marzipan! And not the stuff in a can.
¼ cup sugar
¼ cup AP flour
4T unsalted butter, room temp
2 large eggs
½ tsp vanilla
½ cup toasted almond slices
4 medium bartlett or Anjou pears (about 1 ¾ lbs)
Apricot jam for glaze - or - this year I'm using Stonewall Kitchens 'apricot/ginger' jam

For Crust: Whisk egg yolks and cider/vinegar in small bowl. Blend flour, sguar and salt in processor. Add chilled butter and process til mixture resembles coarse meal. Add egg yolk mixture and process til moist clumps form. Gather dough into a ball, press into a disk; wrap in plastic and chill 1 hour. Press dough evenly into bottom and up sides of 11 inch diameter tart pan with removeable bottom. Chill while preparing filling.

For Filling: Preheat oven to 375. Blend almond paste and sugar in processor til paste is finely ground. Add flour and 3T butter, and process til a thick paste forms. Add eggs and vanilla and process til smooth. Spread flling in crust, and cover and chill while preparing pears.

Peel pears – Cut each pear in half lengthwise, and core (melon baller is great for this!); slice 1 pear half crosswise into 1/3 inch thick slices toward the wider end; don’t cut all the through the top, narrower end. Press the pear half to fan the slices toward the wider end. Slide a spatula under the pear and plate on top of the filling, positioning narrow end of pear in center of tart and wider end against crust. Repeat with remaining pears. Melt the remaining 1T butter and brush over the pears.

Bake til pears are tender and crust is brown, about 50 minutes. Cool 30 minutes. Remove from pan. Melt the apricot jam in a small pan, and brush over the top of the tart. Sprinkle almonds all over the tart, or make a border around the edge of the tart with the almonds. Serve warm or at room temp.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:19 AM   #20
Senior Cook

With all the other things I will be cooking this year I had hoped I could get a family member to do the pies. That doesn't look like it's going to happen now. So I will be making apple pie and either cherry or pumpkin. I'm not certain yet on the last two.

Tags
None