"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 09-22-2010, 01:38 PM   #21
Sous Chef

wow! whats the difference between that recipe and Libby's? Inquiring minds want to know.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:43 PM   #22
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyanne View Post
Why? (just curious...i love the Libby's recipe but never tried any others)
It's the combination of seasonings that differs between the two. The biggest issue I have with the Libby's recipe is that it includes clove and I don't care for clove.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:54 PM   #23
Half Baked

I went to my Supermarket today and they had plenty of Libby's pumpkin.I opted for the sweet potatoe instead.
I thought it might be less sweet and more nutritious.

I am going to make the pumpkin bars in the previos link.

I am going to substitute the soy milk for unsweetened almond milk.I am not a big fan of soy milk.This will be my first taste of almond milk.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:06 PM   #24
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4meandthem View Post
I went to my Supermarket today and they had plenty of Libby's pumpkin.

Well phooey. I thought the 3 cans I had on the self might be 'collectible' - I had my ebay ad already to go
Old 09-22-2010, 03:25 PM   #25
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Well phooey. I thought the 3 cans I had on the self might be 'collectible' - I had my ebay ad already to go
You never know Janet--What is plentiful in one part of the country may be rare in another. Keep that ebay ad handy! Hey, my daughter sold her appreciation for $1.34 on ebay (right after she bought an invisible man for 99 cents--he told a good story and she figured it was worth it just for that). LOL

Barbara
Old 09-23-2010, 11:02 AM   #26
Half Baked

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4meandthem View Post
I went to my Supermarket today and they had plenty of Libby's pumpkin.I opted for the sweet potatoe instead.
I thought it might be less sweet and more nutritious.

I am going to make the pumpkin bars in the previos link.

I am going to substitute the soy milk for unsweetened almond milk.I am not a big fan of soy milk.This will be my first taste of almond milk.
These bars are great! Not overly sweet and a nice buttery flavored crust.I added a handful of oats to the topping and used almonds instead of pecans.A def keeper!

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:40 PM   #27
Master Chef

I just processed last year's jack-o-lantern into cooked pumpkin. I've had lots of pumpkin for numerous pies all year. Just make sure not to carve your jack-o-lantern until the night before Holloween, then use an LED light source. The pumpkin will still be fresh and great for processing. Just cut, peel, dice, and either bake or steam. Mash it and put it into freezer bags, or can it. Ane the pies I made from it were wonderful. I was told by others that I had to have special - pie pumpkins - because they have a higher sugar content. That just wasn't true. I received rave reviews from everyone who ate the pies made from my jack-o-lantern. I'll be doing the same thing this year. No pumpkin pie filling shortage at Goodweed's house.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 06:47 PM   #28
Senior Cook

Thanks Goodweed. Glad to know that pies made from regular pumpkins and not just pie pumpkin still works. As a kid the kind my mom used were from our jackolantern pumpkins too.

I found canned pumpkin filling today at the local Aldi's Store. I bought some of them to use in other recipes.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:10 PM   #29
Head Chef

I make all my 'pumpkin' pies from butternut squash--it is almost as easy to cut the squash in half, bake til tender and scoop out of the shell as it is to open a can. And the flavor is great.

Might have to change my method this year--the butternut vines got eaten by the squash beetles, but the pie pumpkins did great. I have 10 of them on the porch right now. (Probably 150 pounds of pumpkin!)
Old 09-23-2010, 10:12 PM   #30
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

The first time I ever made pumpkin pie from a regular pumpkin, Shrek brought home a pumpkin at least 1 foot in diameter. He handed it to me and told me he wanted A pumpkin pie. I looked it up in the cook book on how to prep it and went to work. I had cooked pumpkin everywhere, no freezer and no canning capabilities.

I had to borrow a couple of large bowls from my Mom and that one pumpkin made 15 pies. Everyone got a pumpkin pie for dessert, neighbors, family, friends, co-workers...

I told Shrek he was never allowed to bring a stray pumpkin home ever again.

Tags
None