"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 09-21-2010, 12:54 PM   #1
Sous Chef

The Great Pumpkin filling shortage

I am a bit confused. I went into Shoppers yesterday looking for pumpkin pie filling and the guy tells me that they havent had a supply since last christmas although they might get some any day now for the fall. I went to Safeway and the guy tells me the same story there was a problem at the processing plant and they had to throw the whole batch out, this was back last year but it might be here soon as the holidays are coming.

Today I went to the other Safeway in Rockville and lo and behold there are two different brands (Libby's and organic) on the store shelves.

Does anyone know what is going on? I suspect something like this happened, because the stories jive with one another, but for nine months we've been w/o pumpkin pie?

Old 09-21-2010, 01:09 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I recall a story from last holiday season that there was going to be a shortage. I don't remember the reason. It wan't an issue for us.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:35 PM   #3
Flour Child

jpinmaryland...i admire your fortitude to bake pumpkin pies when it's not Thanksgiving . I love them too but fall into the stuck-in-tradition-hole of ignoring them until the holidays...someone, please snap me out of this mindset

Yes, I too remember the warning last Christmas that there would be a pumpkin shortage this year...i smell a marketing rat. I wonder how many stocked up at that time

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 02:33 PM   #4
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I tried to buy canned pumpkin a couple months ago and was told that there had been a problem in the fields, so none of the stores were getting any in. Canned sweet potatoes worked fine for my purposes, so I bought them instead.

Barbara
Old 09-21-2010, 02:37 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Barbara L is right on. Either sweet potatoes or butternut squash would be great subs for pumpkin in a pie.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:10 PM   #6
Head Chef

I dunno, Costco has lots of pumpkin pies all year long... hmmmmmm....

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:31 PM   #7
Sous Chef

good idea. Do they sell butternut squash in cans? for pies?

We didnt really notice the shortage for a long time because I had several cans stocked up (my daughter likes to bake pumpkin) and when those ran out someone gave me another one a couple months ago. So my daughter and I baked another pumpkin pie with creme cheese back in July and we had no idea.

We have been baking breads: banana, zuccchini, and carrot cake mostly and she said she wanted to do something different. But I found a can today so...

Very strange.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:34 PM   #8
Sous Chef

There sure seem to be plenty of fresh pumpkins around!
Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:46 PM   #9
Sous Chef

here is one story:

{link removed}

i love this quote: "Butternut squash has a taste similar to sweet potatoes."

Yes, not to mention that stuff in your can of PUMPKIN PIE FILLING.

some comments from around the country here:

Canned Pumpkin Shortage of 2010

more in depth explanation here:

Pumpkin Shortage May Plague Pie Season - Holidays News - Holidash
Old 09-21-2010, 03:52 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

I've seen both canned squash and sweet potatoes. Of course, you can use fresh as well.

BTW, I woud buy either Libby's or the One Pie brand. They're the same thing - 100% pumpkin. However, I prefer the recipe on the One Pie can over the Libby's recipe.

Tags
None