"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy
Old 08-07-2005, 10:57 PM   #11
Master Chef
Originally Posted by beleebala
Oh, I am not aware that recipes have copyright issues. I guess the dishes themselves have not copyright, but the words may have copyright. Thanks for bringing it out.

Goodweed of the North,
Thanks for your info. I am Chinese and have tofu all my life. Have you try the traditional tofu dessert which is smoother than silken tofu. It has not sweetness itself. People eat it with brown sugar. May be it is even better than tofu in desserts.

Will experiment it in western desserts!
Ingedient lists are public domain and can not be copyrighted. But the test surrounding them is protected by copyright law the moment they are written.

And no, I haven't had the traditional tofu desert. I'd love to try it though. Please post the recipe. I'm always up for new and interesting things.

Oh, and being Chinese, I would expect that you would understand the meaning of my cyber-space name. For there are no weeds on the planet that are bad, just some that we don't know the proper use of, yet. And I am a child of the North, and of the Lakes.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 04:09 PM   #12
Assistant Cook
Goodweed of the North,

No, you don't need a recipe for the traditional tofu dessert. It is a kind of smooth tofu that you buy from shops. You just sprinkle brown sugar on it to eat. Too bad that I cannot post links here to show you what it is like. Send me your email address to beleebala@hotmail.com, I will send you a link.

beleebala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 10:07 AM   #13
Master Chef

1 graham cracker or similar pie shell
1 package (usually 15 ounces) silken tofu
12 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
1 t vanilla extract
1/4 (or more, to taste) cups sugar
  • Throw the tofu in your food processor.
  • Swirl it up for 30 seconds
  • Throw everything else but the pie crust in
  • Swirl in until combined completely
  • Taste to see if it's sweet enough for you. If not, add more sugar and swirl.
  • Pour into the pie crust
  • Chill for at least 2-3 hours
Serve to your friends who "hate" tofu. Dont tell them until they have devoured it.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 12:20 PM   #14
Assistant Cook
I have made the pie jennyema mentions (only with honey and a bit of liqueur instead of white sugar) and it's excellent. I've also made the following recipes, from theppk.com (The Post Punk Kitchen, a public-access vegan cooking program) with very good results. I use chinese waterpack tofu.

Blondies with chocolate chips
6 oz tofu
1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons canola oil
1 cup 2 Tablespoons sugar
1 Tablespoon vanilla
2 Tablespoons molasses
1 1/4 cups flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9x9 pan.
In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda and salt.
In a large bowl combine tofu, oil, vanilla and molasses with a hand blender. Add the sugar and stir with a wooden spoon until well combined (about 30 seconds).
In batches, fold the dry ingredients into the wet. Fold in chocolate chips.
Pour batter into the pan, spread with a spoon or spatula. Bake for 30-35 minutes until top is firm and brown.
Let cool completely before serving.

1/3 cup flour
2/3 cup cold water
12 oz tofu
1 cup semi-sweet chocloate chips
1 3/4 cups sugar
3/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup oil
3/4 cup good quality unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 tsp. baking powder
In a blender puree the tofu, flour and water until smooth. Pour it into a sauce pan, and whisk constantly over low heat until it thickens (it should not boil, if it starts to turn the heat down). This takes about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the chocolate chips, salt, vanilla and sugar. Stir occasionally until the chocolate is melted. Set the mixture aside to cool completely.
Preheat your oven to 350.
When mixture is cool, mix in the oil. (It can take about 20-30 minutes to cool, give it a stir once in awhileand stick it in the fridge to make it cool faster).
Sift the 1 1/2 cups of flour, the cocoa and the baking powder together. Fold in the tofu mixture until well combined and smooth.
Spread evenly in a greased baking pan for 35-40 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean.

kourtney is offline   Reply With Quote