"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2005, 12:57 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Talking Tofu in desserts

I was searching on the web for recipes of healthy desserts. Found many dessert recipes using tofu at link removed as advertising is not allowed on this site.

Looks like tofu may be a good alternative to milk in desserts.

What do you think? Anybody tried??

Old 08-06-2005, 03:34 AM   #2
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to msalper
I'm not sure beleebala... I can't understand exactly what it is.. I searched and I found smt looks like a white cheese...??
By the Way... WELCOME TO DC!!!!!

Old 08-06-2005, 07:04 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Tofu is made from soy, and has been used for centuries in Asian dishes.

As far as using it for desserts, yes, there are many desserts that use tofu in place of dairy. I'd be sure and use a recipe that specifically is designed for tofu, though, rather than trying to convert one. I've made vegan cakes using it, and also frosting using tofu 'cream cheese'; turned out pretty well.
Old 08-06-2005, 10:25 AM   #4
Master Chef

Marmalady, tofu cream cheese is good stuff. I just started using it about a month ago. I really like it. I wish they had flavored tofu cream cheeses where I buy mine.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 11:14 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Hubbie likes the tofu cream cheese, too; it worked really well in the frosting recipe I used for the vegan cake; between that and the 'Fleishmann's margarine', I thought it turned out pretty well!
Old 08-06-2005, 01:36 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Exclamation

The link is removed. Then, how may I share the recipes? Do I have to manually copy them here for sharing?

Thanks for sharing your experience with tofu.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:34 AM   #7
Everymom

You may copy and paste, but it is recommended that you change the method to your own words to avoid copyright infringement.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:24 PM   #8
Master Chef

I've used tofu in fruit smoothies for a few years now. It works wonderfully as a thinckening agent. But Tofu does have a flavor, albeit a mild one. When using the tofu as a thickener, make sure to use silken tofu, as regular tofu has too much texture and can be somewhat spongey. Also, make sure the flavors are strong enough to stand up to the tofu flavor. Most people don't especially care for it. Also, I use unsweetened soy-milk in many recipes. Again, its flavor is mild, but discernable. Soy milk is great for making egg nog, or spiced drinks containing cinamon, nutmeg, vanilla, sweeteners, etc. You could also use it for the liquid in a pumpking pie, to increase the nutritional value. You may even be able to use silken tofu in place of some of the egg.

Experiment a little. Use the silken tofu in oriental soups, or chicken broth, just to figure out the flavor and texture. Blend it into a cream gravy instead of thickening with flour or other starch. It has many uses.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 04:47 PM   #9
Executive Chef

I'm sure soy products are good for many things, but I had tofu cheesecake once and could not swallow it. I really like cheesecake and could not tolerate it - the only thing I've ever spit in my napkin.
Old 08-07-2005, 10:25 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
You may copy and paste, but it is recommended that you change the method to your own words to avoid copyright infringement.
Oh, I am not aware that recipes have copyright issues. I guess the dishes themselves have not copyright, but the words may have copyright. Thanks for bringing it out.

Goodweed of the North,
Thanks for your info. I am Chinese and have tofu all my life. Have you try the traditional tofu dessert which is smoother than silken tofu. It has not sweetness itself. People eat it with brown sugar. May be it is even better than tofu in desserts.

Will experiment it in western desserts!

Tags
None