"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 05-26-2005, 06:43 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Tropical fruit jellies

Tropical Fruit Jellies – from Delia Smith’s ‘How to Cook, Book 3’. This is a summer favourite with my family and friends. Although the recipe suggests using 8 individual glasses, I often make it in a very pretty Swedish plain crystal bowl.

“This is a cheat's recipe. The tropical fruit juice comes ‘freshly squeezed’ – in a bottle from the supermarket. And, what's more, this really beautiful dessert contains virtually no fat.

Serves 8

1.75 pints (1 litre) freshly squeezed tropical fruit juice
9 leaves gelatine
6 large passion fruit
Juice of 4 limes

You will also need eight serving glasses with a capacity of about 6 fl oz (175 ml).

First of all, put 1/4 pint (150 ml) of the tropical fruit juice into a shallow dish. Add the gelatine, pressing it down so the liquid covers it, and set it aside to soften – about 10 minutes.
Now put another 1/4 pint (150 ml) of the fruit juice into a small saucepan and bring it up to simmering point. Then remove the pan from the heat and add the softened gelatine, squeezing it first and reserving the liquid, and begin to whisk the gelatine in until it is completely dissolved. Pour the remaining juice into a large jug, along with the lime juice and the liquid from the squeezed gelatine, add the dissolved gelatine mixture and give it all another good whisk. Then pour the whole lot into the glasses, cover, and chill for at least 3 hours or, preferably, overnight.
Just before serving, halve each passion fruit and scoop out the seeds and juice to spoon on top of the jellies – the fruit will seep down as you eat."

Old 05-26-2005, 08:49 AM   #2
Master Chef

Ishbel, you're on a roll with your desserts lately! The two you just posted sound wonderful!

Old 05-26-2005, 09:15 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Have to put my hands up and say they aren't 'mine' - and I have given credit to the two British chefs who originated the recipes! BUT, they are recipes I've made lots of times!

Now the better weather is here, I'm making a few more desserts than normal.... Find that heavier, winter menus means no room for puddings most days!
Old 05-26-2005, 06:02 PM   #4
Everymom

Do you have any pictures of these beauties? I bet they are gorgeous.
Old 05-27-2005, 04:27 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Are you asking ME to do a tekkie thing like putting a photograph on line? BWAHHAAAAAAA
Old 05-27-2005, 04:17 PM   #6
Everymom

LOL! Sorry Ishbel, I forgot myself there for a moment.
Old 05-27-2005, 05:29 PM   #7
Executive Chef

That's alright, Alix... just remember you are talking to a tekkie-challenged person here.

Tags
None