"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 07-29-2016, 11:50 PM   #11
Master Chef

The ones the crafts stores sell aren't always the best tasting ones, Addie. They seem to have more wax than the better brands. I know that Wegmans sells the Merckens brand, which are my favorite. I'll buy a short pound when I'm out of them, put them in an airtight canister in the basement "pantry", and sneak a couple when I have a taste for chocolate. They are as melty as a Hershey candy bar, but I'm happy with just a couple of nickel sized pieces. If I keep Hershey bars on hand, I eat the entire one up before I know it.

Old 07-30-2016, 12:17 AM   #12
Master Chef

I have a problem with the melting wafers as they have added oils in them that help them melt smoothly. The best option is to go online and look for coverture chocolate. You can purchase it by the case, or in smaller amounts. It is the chocolate that candy makers use. It melts very nicely and can be tempered to make amazing chocolate truffles, or filled chocolates. I made easter bubbies with coverture chocolate and one of our local restaurants used them in their displays. I used milk chocolate for the bodies, but small containers of white chocolate, each of which were colored with paste food coloring. I was able to paint the colors in to make the inner ear pink, the bow-tie black, the vest was light brown, etc.

Coverture chocolate will give you the best results when making chocolate confections.

If you must use Nestle's chocolate chips, place 1/4 cup milk into a saucepan, heat the milk to scalding temperature, then stir the package of chocolate chips into the hot milk. I won't seize the chocolate. Add a little salt as it will improve the chocolate flavor. You won't be able to temper it, but it will be smooth and taste great. I make hot fudge for DW out of both Nestlie's Milk Chocolate or Ghiradelli Chocolate chips. I have made it out of four large Lindoor Lindt milk chocolate bars. That was really good.

Hope that helps.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 03:10 AM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
I have a problem with the melting wafers as they have added oils in them that help them melt smoothly....
In my case, they worked perfectly fine to chocolate coat strawberries or mix with nuts or coconut flakes to make dropped chocolates. I'm a simpler candy maker than you Chief, and don't want to bother with fondant. But if you like to fuss like that, God love ya.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:17 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

I buy the semi-sweet blocs when I need to melt chocolate. Usually Hershey's.
Old 07-30-2016, 05:08 PM   #15
Sous Chef

That's what I've used in the past, but I'll have to look into that coverture chocolate. Thanks for info, Chief!

Tags
chocolate, chocolate chips