"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 10-07-2004, 04:47 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Oops, Audeo beat me to the punch. Well, maybe someone could enlighten me on why white chocolate isn't chocolate then?

Old 10-07-2004, 05:10 PM   #12
Senior Cook

White chocolate: Like milk chocolate, this is made of cocoa butter, sugar, milk, and vanilla. The only difference is that white chocolate doesn't have any cocoa solids. Since the FDA won't let American producers label a product "chocolate" unless it has those cocoa solids, domestic white chocolate is known by a hodge-podge of different names. White chocolate scorches easily, so cook it gently. Bars and wafers usually taste better than chips. Avoid white chocolate that's made with vegetable oil instead of cocoa butter--it's cheaper but not nearly as good.
-From cook's thesaurus

...Chocolate liquor is the basis for all things chocolate. Pure chocolate liquor is very dark and bitter and has only two components--cocoa solids and cocoa butter. The solids give chocolate its characteristic dark, strong flavor, and the cocoa butter translates to a smooth mouth feel...
-From Fine Cooking

Old 10-07-2004, 07:11 PM   #13
Sous Chef

I would advise you to use white chocolate chips if you can't find anything called "vanilla chips." Look at the ingredient list on the white chocolate. If there's vanilla in it, that's what I would use. In fact, the cheaper it is, the more like vanilla chips it should be.

I look at vanilla chips as a white chocolate wannabe.
Old 10-11-2004, 05:07 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Vanilla Chip Update

Today I went to Walmart and found Nestle Premium White Morsels. There is no cocoa solids in the ingredients, so I'm guessing it is not white chocolate. But no vanilla is listed either - just artificial and natural flavors. I'm going to go with these for the Dreamsicle Bars until I find a better product. Thanks for all the help.
Old 10-11-2004, 05:18 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Re: Vanilla Chip Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosetoo
Today I went to Walmart and found Nestle Premium White Morsels. There is no cocoa solids in the ingredients, so I'm guessing it is not white chocolate. But no vanilla is listed either - just artificial and natural flavors. I'm going to go with these for the Dreamsicle Bars until I find a better product. Thanks for all the help.
White Chocolate DOES NOT contain cocoa solids, but does contain cocoa butter. See my previous post above, which defines white chocolate.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:25 PM   #16
Hospitality Queen

Thank you all for that enlightening vanilla/white chocolate talk...now, that would mean, then, that white chocolate doesn't contain seratonin, right?
I know it's in it's largest amount in Dark Chocolate (food of the gods), which is why we all feel better after eating it. Kinda like Prozac for foodies.

Also...........where is this dreamsicle recipe?
May we see it?
Old 10-12-2004, 01:36 PM   #17
Hospitality Queen

and guess what I found at Wal*Mart today?
Nestle Toll House Swirled morsels.
"Real Semi-Sweet & White Chocolate morsels"

http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipe...=129447lrg.jpg

Woo-Hoo! They are just so pretty! They'll look great in everything!
Old 10-12-2004, 01:39 PM   #18
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Cool jkath! Those look so neat!

Tags
None