"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 08-08-2007, 01:05 PM   #11
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
I use both, can't really tell a difference, but I do not do a lot of baking either.

Old 08-08-2007, 01:52 PM   #12
Sous Chef

now that article is very very interesting!

so its the "extra stuff" thats makes it cost 5 times as much... :) i c i c

:S @ poisonous vanilla

Old 08-08-2007, 01:55 PM   #13
Sous Chef

i doubt anything could stand up to the homemade stuff could it? :) i haven't tried but i am guessing :)

do u use exra when u are using imitation Barb L like kadesma mentioned?
Old 08-08-2007, 01:58 PM   #14
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Not really maybe a little. when I make french toast I don't really measure, just por some in, (we love it).
Old 08-11-2007, 10:56 AM   #15
Senior Cook

Quote:
From CI: "Most participants in that tasting, including pastry [COLOR=orange ! important][COLOR=orange ! important]chefs[/color][/color] and baking experts, couldn't tell the difference between imitation vanilla and the real thing: pure vanilla extract. Even though we have repeated that tasting and gotten the same results, we've never quite overcome our disbelief.... Despite the widespread hue and cry in the food world about the inferiority of imitation vanilla-experts agree that it lacks the flavor nuances and subtleties of pure vanilla extract-our tasters found it to be perfectly acceptable in cake and [COLOR=orange ! important][COLOR=orange ! important]custard[/color][/color]. The imitation vanillas earned high enough scores to be recommended alongside all of the pure vanillas. In fact, every extract we tasted scored its way into the "recommended" category of the chart on page 27."
Yeah, I can't really tell the difference either. But then again, my palette has about as much subtlety as sledgehammer to the balls... which is not very subtle at all.

I never use imitation though. I'm a snob and a purist. My rationalization is that even if I can't tell the difference, someone wwho eats my food might.

Here's a trick for making your own vanilla extract (or perhaps the right word is infusion). Just get yourself a cup of top quality Vodka like Grey Goose or Belvedere or whatever, and then chop up a couple of vanilla pods and bottle them up in the vodka for about a month, shaking the botle up every once in a while. At the end, strain through cheesecloth and you've got your vanilla infusion.

Way cheaper than even the cheapest grocery store alternatives although not nearly as cheap as artificial, unless you make it in bulk. (I would think if you start making litres and litres of the stuff, you'd probably eventually out-cheap even the cheapest artificial.)
Old 08-11-2007, 12:15 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Ya breakin my heart Jason! Can't I use Cheap Vodka, to make this stuff!

I think I'll stick with imitation vanilla, and save my Belvedere & Goose for drinking!!

Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 12:27 PM   #17
Cook

One possible important difference is that real vanilla extract has alcohol in it. I once made some cookies using the real vanilla extract and a guy immediately sniffed it out and asked me if it was real vanilla and said he had to decline because hes an alcoholic and couldnt touch the temptation. I was amazed at his sensory for alcohol!!!
Old 08-11-2007, 12:59 PM   #18
Cook

I only use pure vanilla extract. I "think" I can tell the difference, would be interesting to actually test that.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:17 PM   #19
Cook

My mom always used the immitation stuff so thats what I bought. Then the day I actually splurged on the real stuff.... POW!!! What a difference!!!! I wont use anything less now.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:06 PM   #20
Sous Chef

well then i guess i iwill have to make double the amount of chocolate muffins LOL...and of course eat them :D just to try the difference of course not because i like chocolate muffins and want to eat lots of them ;) hehehe mwuahahaha good excuse to eat them ;)

im impressed withthe guys ability to sniff out the real stuff though! Might give making some a go when i get some time it sounds simple enough thanks :)

i haven't heard of htose brands in austraia...we get absolut and others but not those...i think we have soe int he cupboard, we only use for Long Islands - don't drink it otherwise.

did u tell ur mum its POW? did u convert her to the real stuff?

Tags
None