What are you baking this season?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll be making shortbread cookies;
date squares
nanimo bars
gingerbread cake
lemon squares
and something i always try and have on hand a few days before christmas(for my sons b-day) cabbage rolls.I make such a large roaster full that i always end up freezing some.

Oh right! Nanaimo bars! I'm doing those too.

Hey babyhuggies, would you consider posting your cabbage roll recipe in Ethnic? I'm looking for comparisons to mine. Thanks!

I'm gonna start off by making some hard candy...
Then I'm making milk chocolate with cinnamon on top of a nougat I'm going to make.
Then I'm making carrot muffins. And from there I'll bake whatever I feel like.

My buddy wants me to make colored cookies again. He says he wants black.

Alix said:
Oh right! Nanaimo bars! I'm doing those too.

Hey babyhuggies, would you consider posting your cabbage roll recipe in Ethnic? I'm looking for comparisons to mine. Thanks!

Not a problem Alix. Just give me a day or so to get out my recipe.Since cabbage rolls are something i only make once a year..i need to use my recipe for the ingredients.

Last night I ended up tweaking two cookie recipes and called them Triple Chocolate Peanut butter thumbprints! They are delicious and all gone.

I haven't started thinking much about holiday baking yet. Once I cook for DH's birthday this weekend then I can think more about cookies.

I need to try to control myself this year, too. DH really wants to lose some weight and the easiest thing I can do for him is not have too many temptations in the house. I'll probably still make his favorite, chocolate cherry chunk cookies, and some cut-outs. For CHristmas Eve and Day desserts we'll probably have a chocolate cake and gingerbread, and I'll probably make a coffee cake of some sort for Christmas morning.

If I have time, I'd like to make my chocolate toffee bites and try a recipe I found for chocolate sea salt smoked almond bark.

I discovered I have a parent who's an all star baker! Woohoo! I'm in heaven knowing she'll be baking for our classroom this season. She's bringing in hot chocolate, a pineapple cake and a cinnamon cake for us to enjoy the last day before our Christmas break.

Per my students' request, I will be baking some pan de polvo (a cinnamon/anise Mexican cookie) and buñuelos buñuelos (Mexican sweet flour tortilla rounds sprinkled with cinnamon sugar). Happy baking everyone!

Last edited:
Hmm. I don't know what I'll be baking but I feel like I'm kinda in a baking slump. I need to find some new stuff, because I'm getting sick of the usuals. I also don't really have many peeps to bake for, but if I was closer to my family they'd be in trouble! I'm gonna do some finding and then decide what's in store for the next couple weeks. I think I will be making chocolate pb chip cookies. They are tasty indeed.

Decisions, Decisions!

Hi,

I'll probably be baking the 3rd week of December from dawn to ??..I usually will be baking about 3 different kinds of cookies: chocolate chip/walnut, oatmeal raisin, an old fashion almond cookie, and then there are the panetones, which I'll make about a dozen of those to give to family and friends, probably pumpkin and maybe apple, and/or lemon pies..I'll be burnt out by the end of the baking session and will do some serious sleeptime and catch some zzzzz's afterwards!:chef:

Still sorta deciding, will bake next week, making all the dough up one day and put in fridge. Then the next morning start the baking ----------- all day ! A few Iam baking are sour cream drop cookies, date drops, molasses, mexician wedding and chocolate chip. Happy Baking All ! :chef:

Last edited:
MIL has hinted that she would prefer a mincemeat pie for her birthday (Dec 23) instead of coconut cake, so I will be making said pie.

Never made the filling from scratch, though. Anybody got ideas for me?

Mudbug, in case you want to try making your own mincemeat, the ingredients are 2lb 4oz cooking apples, 1 tsp mixed spice, 1 tsp ground cinnamon, 8oz dark muscovado sugar, grated rind and juice of 3 oranges, grated rind and juice of 1 lemon, 12oz mixed dried fruit, 4oz chopped dried apricots, 12oz cranberries, 6oz toasted flaked almonds and 1/2 pint brandy, rum or sherry.

To prepare, peel, core and chop apples and together with the spices, sugar, rinds and juices, put them into a large saucepan. Cook until the apples soften before adding dried fruit, apricots, cranberries, almonds and brandy. Once it starts to boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes. Leave to cool before packing in warm sterilized jars.

My baking day is this Sunday. I have a friend coming over to help (she thinks she'll get to sit by the fire and drink wine and supervise but I have other plans for her - she'll be standing in front of the stove stirring the caramel!).
This is what I'm baking
homemade caramels
turtles
buckeyes
peanut brittle
orange - white chocolate chip cookies
ginger cookies
chocolate fudge
oatmeal carmelitas
sugar cookies

I have to bring a tray of goodies into work and I also like to package up the treats to pass out to friends and neighbors.

Back
Top Bottom