"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 12-02-2006, 12:34 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
What are you baking this season?

What are you baking now that the weather is cooler and the holidays are approaching? I attempted to make a chocolate biscotti recipe that we have yet to taste. We usually have eggnog cookies and ginger snaps this time of year. Would anyone like to share their baking recipes?

Old 12-02-2006, 12:55 PM   #2
Everymom

Well, I haven't started my Christmas stuff yet, I'm still doing the usual cookies, cakes etc that I always do. For Christmas I usually do some combo of these:

Maple cookies
Brown sugar shortbread
Thimble Cookies (swedish tea rings)
Regular shortbread (Same as the brown sugar one only with icing sugar instead of brown and put in a cookie press)
Squishy gingerbread cookies
Can't Fail Sugar cookies

Old 12-02-2006, 01:15 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Dina, Christmas is a big family affair in Greece. So unavoidably, I will have to prepare the traditional Christopsomo (Christmas bread) and Melomakarona (Brandied Macaroons dipped in Honey Syrup). Here is the recipe for the bread. The macaroon recipe can be found under the "cookies" section.
Old 12-02-2006, 02:03 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Well, for the first time in almost a year, I have a working oven. I baked a loaf of banana bread yesterday, and it's GONE already. 5 kids and two adults that like banana bread will do that, in a hurry.

I don't know what else I'll bake, except probably at least one more pumpkin pie for Christmas dinner, and maybe another kind of pie.

I might do my usual Sour Cream Struesel Coffee Cake, as PeppA has already mentioned that. However, I have several other desserts that I'd like to try.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:07 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Alix! It's great to hear from you. I'd love to have some of your cookie recipes, if you don't mind sharing. They sound wonderful. Decorations got started at our house tonight while we listened to Christmas carols and ate the biscottis. They were actually pretty good.

Boufa,
What does your Christmas bread have? Is it a sweet or savory one? I will check your Brandied Macaroons. Thanks.

Allen,
Aren't we thankful for our working appliances, especially this time of year?! I'm sure your Sour Cream coffee cake is wonderful. Would you post the recipe when you get a chance?
Old 12-02-2006, 09:58 PM   #6
Master Chef

My mom and I make lots of cookies and candy for the holidays and then give most of it away to friends and neighbors. Here is what we are making this year:

Chocolate fudge
Peanut brittle
Big soft ginger cookiescookies ISO Perfect gingerbread cookie
Tiger Bark (Peanut butter and chocolate bark)
Fairy Drops (sugar cookie type dough that melts in your mouth topped with frosting and crushed candy cane)
Bourbon Balls
Sugar Balls (a cookie that is half red and green colored with red and green colored sugars that are mixed into the dough)
Spritz

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 10:03 PM   #7
Executive Chef

I havent really planned anything yet, but more than likely will be making peanutbutter cups and not sure about the rest just yet.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:48 AM   #8
Head Chef

My holiday baking will be banana bread, linzer bars, oatmeal cookies, citrus poppy seed cookies and spritz cookies. For Xmas dinner I'll proably do a loaf or two of bread.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:56 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Being my family cannot get through a holiday or birthday with out foccacia, I will be making or at least trying to make several of them tomorrow and put them in the freezer, then it will be on to chocolate chip and peanut butter cookies...We usually have mexican wedding cookies, but who knows if I'll have time this year..I'll try though, oh and Dh who is looking over my shoulder made a noise about chocolate crinkle cookies and fudge if you please Sure, and I'll go paint the house too

kadesma
Old 12-03-2006, 02:07 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Dina, the Greek Christmas bread is sweet like fruit cake.

Tags
None