What else can I do with popcorn?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MostlyWater

Sous Chef
I'm careful to only eat healthful foods, which means air popped popcorn with nothing on it, or so I thought. DH often hosts board meetings and when he put butter and salt on the popcornt, and I had some leftovers, I couldn't believe how good it was. I've also had caramel popcorn from the store and of course that's fabulous.

Is there a recommended website for popcorn recipes? I don't want to use the commercially available sprays or stuff to sprinkle on. I'd rather make it myself.

thanks !

You've already named my favorites, buttered popcorn and caramel corn (my mom made the best!). I have seen recipes for chocolate dipped, but unless it is dark chocolate that wouldn't be too healthy.

I never knew until I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes that popcorn is very high in sugar and diabetics can't eat a lot of it. It makes sense of course, after all where does corn syrup come from? :LOL:

:)Barbara

I'm certain that if you search the web for popcorn you will find lots of ideas. Have you thought about savory popcorn ---- drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with garlic powder or Italian seasonings? Yum!

You've already named my favorites, buttered popcorn and caramel corn (my mom made the best!). I have seen recipes for chocolate dipped, but unless it is dark chocolate that wouldn't be too healthy.

I never knew until I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes that popcorn is very high in sugar and diabetics can't eat a lot of it. It makes sense of course, after all where does corn syrup come from? :LOL:

:)Barbara

a nutrition break down for white air popped corn shows no sugar at all. it has only 6 carbs and that :) is super good for a snack for diabetics, i have it also as you know. it also contains fiber which is a good thing. i find it is very filling. it is the butter and caramel and chocolate that made it to high in carbs for the diabetic. we all know that it is the carbs that are bad for us, not sugar in and of itself. :)

I love popcorn, specially the one with butter on it. But I think it is always important to remember that if you like to eat something sooooo much and you are afraid from high calories or sugar, then you should only take a bite or in the case of popcorn a handful is enough. Remember that this handful is much better than nothing.:chef:

I like a couple splashes of soy sauce on my popcorn!

But if I'm feeling naughty I'll do butter and parmesan and a sprinkle of garlic powder.

a nutrition break down for white air popped corn shows no sugar at all. it has only 6 carbs and that :) is super good for a snack for diabetics, i have it also as you know. it also contains fiber which is a good thing. i find it is very filling. it is the butter and caramel and chocolate that made it to high in carbs for the diabetic. we all know that it is the carbs that are bad for us, not sugar in and of itself. :)
YES!! I was told that I can have popcorn no problem!! I like to put melted butter with lemon juice and hot sauce added on my popcorn. Smartbalance is pretty good.

Trader Joe's carries already popped popcorn with olive oil. It's not oily but just enough for that hint of flavor...it's delicious.

Once, after Dr. Oz mentioned it on his show, Trader Joe's shelves were quickly emptied. I inquired and the employee said to try popping plain popcorn and spray or drizzle olive oil and parmesan cheese. You can pour your own olive oil in a pump sprayer (they sell them specifically for cooking oil...says "Mist" on the silver or white sprayer)

For fun and for the grandchildren, I make this. All the children (and their parents :LOL:) love it. It's fun and a great goodie to bring for a holiday treat or special occasion.

I also make popcorn balls and flavor/color them with sugar-free Jell-O. Orange Jell-O for Halloween, red or green for Christmas, Valentine's or St. Pat's. Even pastel ones for Easter.

My sister's first husband used to pop popcorn in bacon grease and sprinkle with Parmesan, it was really good. I'm not sure if his heart is still working though! :LOL:

Alton Brown says that popcorn makes anexcellent breakfast cereal with milk and a sprinkle of sugar.

For fun and for the grandchildren, I make this. All the children (and their parents :LOL:) love it. It's fun and a great goodie to bring for a holiday treat or special occasion.

That looks good!

I don't think I'm going to have popcorn for breakfast, though.

Hmmm. Well, I guess you could use it as a sort of crouton on a salad?

One thing I will suggest, which I haven't done in ages, is if you have young children, buy one of those dried ears of corn that you can buy for decorative purposes in the fall. Gather your kids around the microwave, and nuke it! Kids love to see the ear of corn "popping".

I like putting a little freshly ground black pepper on popcorn - it really picks it up.

Kettle popping corn in evoo makes it healthier than regular oil and tastier than air popped corn. We like to add Tabasco to the oil before it's popped for an extra kick.

My husband dashes his popcorn with tabasco sauce. I like to sprinkle parmesan chees on mine, no oil needed the cheese sticks in the puffs of popcorn. Sometimes for a savory taste we use garlic salt. And hubby has a bacon salt he will use when he feels like it.

Back
Top Bottom