What is Your Favorite Thing to Bake?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What is your favorite thing to bake?

• Cookies

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Cake

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Bread

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Muffins etc.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • All baking

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • I prefer cooking!

Votes: 11 28.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
YT2095 said:
I prefer cooking mostly, baking bread I class as part of that too, but Baking Proper it would have to be Snikerdoodles.
don`t ask, but it`s Like a cookie with cinamon in it, I got the recipe when I was about 8 years old, in a recipe book done by kids for kids in Calgary Canada, I Still have the recipe book and it`s Still about the only thing I Can bake without error (yet).

I love snikerdoodles I would love your recipe. My kids love them too

I prefer to cook rather than bake, so I picked that option,however I do like to bake cakes and breads...

Snickerdoodles are a real comfort food for me, here is one recipe

1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup butter
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt

Topping:

2 T. sugar
2 t. ground cinnamon

In a mixing bowl, cream sugar and butter until fluffy. Add eggs, beat well. COmbine dry ingredients: add to creamed mixture and beat well. In a small bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon. Shape dough into walnut sized ball, roll in sugar/cinnamon. Place 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 400 degrees F for 8 to 10 minutes. Cookies will puff up and flatten as they bake, yield 5 dozen.

As usual, I use all whole wheat pastry flour for these cookies, no white flour. Just part of my rationalization for eating cookies:LOL: . Oh, and these go well with a cold glass of milk:cool:

While I love cake and other dessert type baking, this time of year I love to bake bread. I'll start on Friday night, and get up 4am on Saturday to pull the dough out of the fridge for a final rise...and then bake it at 7 to have with breakfast.

Brioche or cinnamon rolls are the house favourite!

As a disclaimer....I probably should have checked the 'I love to do everything' box.

hello there said:
I've never made brioche... What does it taste like and how easy is it to make?

Brioche is a bit like challah or other 'egg' bread with the addition of lots of butter, anywhere from 1/2 cup to 2 cups. 2 cups yields a bread that is almost cake like.

It takes two days to make a brioche. You start a sponge, let it rest for 45 minutes, then make the dough, and let that rise for 2 hours. After refrigerating overnight, I pull the dough out in the very very early morning hours. Because of all the butter, the dough is extremely stiff. I shape it into individual brioche pans, cover and let it warm to room temperature, when it will rise again. If I take it out of the fridge at 4am, we're eating brioche by 8:30am

It may seem like alot of work, but the results are well worth it.

rickell said:
I love snikerdoodles I would love your recipe. My kids love them too
be sure, when I get all my packed boxes from the mother-in-laws house with all my books in, I`ll post this for you :)
there`s about 12 boxes of my books there still unpacked that need to brought here to the new house, we just havent gotten around to it yet :rolleyes:

I voted for Cakes, too, though my skill for it is still somewhat dodgy, I do enjoy it when I am in the right mood (+ if the cake comes out well...)

However IMO Pizzas should be up there among the choices!!:-p

I love baking anything, but I think I especially enjoy making cookies and cakes, especially pound cakes. Yum.

I absolutely love to bake a good dump...apple, pear, strawberry, lemon, chocolate...you name it. So quick and easy and you can make it look so professional when you carmalize the top and add a whipped cream dollop to it...mmmmmm. :chef:

I like to bake everything :LOL: ! Except bread. I like to make it, but it's too much work for me.

What I bake most are cookies, muffins and biscuits. Oh yes, and homemade pizza. Cakes and pies are more of a treat around here.

I love to bake sugar cookies because we really get into decorating them around here. I cut out little stencils in seasonal or theme shapes for the kids to use to decorate using colored sugars. Or, they decorate with icings in all sorts of wild colors that I let them mix up themselves. Sometimes, we cut them out into shapes but not that often because the decorating is so much more fun and we can't wait to get to it. This is always a full afternoon because we make a huge number of cookies so everyone gets a chance to use every color and stencil.

As I said earlier in this thread, I go the way of the wind, but my real love is bread.

Unfortunately, I have arthritis and carpal tunnel in my right hand, which makes kneading a bit of a challenge. That problem has been largely solved by the use of a bread machine. I prepare my ingredients and put them into the machine. I let the machine do all the kneading and the first rise. After that, I am in charge.

That's good, too, because I make all the bread products we eat in our house. Smells so good and tastes even better.

There is nothing like the perfume of fresh bread baking.

The ONLY thing I bake is bread. Maybe two or three times a year. However, my DW is an excellent baker! She was born and raised in the Republic of Georgia and has some serious skills. She makes a Napolean that is so light and tasty.....it's my favorite. It takes her 4 hours to make, all from scratch.

Back
Top Bottom