"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 03-13-2013, 11:07 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

I went all the way and bought it. I tried to make poured fondant at home (recipe I got from the internet, not sure if it was successful), If you see the cake you notice that the topping is a cover by itself and be removed as a blanket, would a poured fondant do that? The one I just made was denser and sticks to whats beneath.

IMG-20130313-00762.jpg Picture

Old 03-13-2013, 08:31 PM   #12
Sous Chef

It's a cake you bought? Can you ask the simple question "What is the frosting on that cake?" You would not be asking for the recipe, just inquiring what the name of the stuff is. If they give it a name, tracking a recipe would be easier.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:40 PM   #13
Certified Cake Maniac

Asking them would be the best choice but I am sure you will find it is either some type of fondant or (does it have an almond taste?) marzipan. There is nothing more I can give on this topic.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:45 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

This is a cafe, they don't know! LOL come on you guys give me more credit than that I search for recipes wherever I go but unfortunately almost impossible to track down the source.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:13 AM   #15
Executive Chef

i think i found what you're looking for, merar, but i'm not able to get the link to work. your topping looks just like the hard, smooth topping that is used to make napoleons.
look up under 'napoleon topping white' and then the title with 'moroccan' in it.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:35 AM   #16
Certified Cake Maniac

Thank you Vitauta. You have helped me to make MY point. You are absolutely correct, it is like the topping on a Napoleon. Mille-feuille - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Merar, please read the text on this link where it says "Alternatively the top is glazed with icing or fondant in alternating white (icing) and brown (chocolate) stripes, and combed."

I have made these desserts many times in school and in catering. I gave you a simple recipe for poured fondant, which is also basically a glaze. It could have been a regular fondant or marzipan, but with the shine I doubted it. I know the pastry is different to your cake, but the topping is standard. You can adjust the consistency to get the effect you want.

I hope this finally helps solve the mystery for you.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:41 AM   #17
Assistant Cook

LOL I LOVE YOU GUYS vitauta & LPBeier YOU ARE THE BEST!!! If I get a dessert and there is a component that I do not know *SUFFOCATING HUG FOR EACH OF YOU*

Tags
other, sugar