What to do with almond paste?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jpinmaryland

Sous Chef
This was on sale at local Giant so I could not resist. Okay so what do I do with it? I guess it's 12 oz and it's filled with fructose corn syrup and all that sort of stuff, so it must be a winner..

Almond Ginger Cookies

This is one my favorite cookie recipes. I've never made them for anything that they weren't eaten to the last one.

Almond Ginger Cookies
2½ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 teaspoons ground ginger
½ teaspoon salt
3/4 cup vegetable shortening (butter flavor)
1 cup (firmly packed) light brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
1 large egg
1/2 cup almond paste (4 ounces)
48 whole almonds

Preheat oven to 350º.
Sift flour, baking powder, ginger and salt together into a mixing bowl; set aside.
Blend the vegetable shortening with the brown sugar, honey and egg in a food processor fitted with a steel blade until smooth. Cut the almond paste into small pieces, add to the mixture and process until it is smooth and the almond paste is well incorporated. Add the flour mixture 1/3 at a time, turning the processor on and off at 5-second intervals, until a firm dough is formed. Roll about 1 rounded tablespoon of dough between the palms of your hands into a ball. Continue with all the dough. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet 2 inches apart. Press an almond into the center of each.
Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until the cookies are lightly browned. Cool for about 1 minute on the sheet, then transfer to a rack. Cool thoroughly, then store in an airtight container.
Makes about 4 dozen 2½-inch cookies.

isn't that great! i bought an (overpriced) can of it, used half for a recipe, and it's been sitting in the fridge ever since! i was juuust thinking i should throw it away ......

thanks for the recipe. I want to try somethign more exotic. E.g. an indian recipe or perhaps baklava. Do I have to get filo dough for that?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom