What's For Dessert?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Crepe or Cake

Wha?!??!!? 'The main thing is the cake.' no, no, no - the main thing is the custard filling and the chocolate ganache. My mother made this a lot in the 50's and I don't remember how the cake was but the rest?.... yummmm

Plus I always had to have a 7 layer cake for my birthday, also with a ganache and peanut butter & banana pinwheel sandwiches. - That all I ever wanted. :yum:

Now that this has been said I'm going to have to go look for a 7 layer cake recipe. I don't even know how to describe the cake. They were very thin layers. Could they have been more crepe than cake?

PS and thanks for the links Addie, custard and ganache aside, one still needs the best cake part one can do! .LOL

Last edited:
I don't know if you consider it dessert, but I think later tonight I may whip up a batch of garlic butter biscuits ala Red Lobster. Not the boxed mix, but the ones from Bisquick. I like those much better (and they're cheaper, too).

I most certainly do! Thanks Kgirl! the Southern Chocolate one is likely what she used to make.

Probably the most difficult part is splitting the cakes... but I've never figured out why it is "7" layers. Or was it because at least one cake wouldn't split nicely and had to be scrapped? :ermm::LOL:

I most certainly do! Thanks Kgirl! the Southern Chocolate one is likely what she used to make.

Probably the most difficult part is splitting the cakes... but I've never figured out why it is "7" layers. Or was it because at least one cake wouldn't split nicely and had to be scrapped? :ermm::LOL:

I happen to have six 9" cake pans and four 6" ones. I have found that when I want to make a multiple layer cake, I place just half the batter for each layer in each pan. If you want all the layers to be the same, use a ladle to put the batter in each pan.

Now I doubt you have enough pans to do this all at once. So use what pans you have using the ladle method. That way all the layers will be the same height. One ladle full for each layer. Even if you did have enough cake pans, there would be too many pans in the oven for them to bake evenly. Place no more than three pans in the oven at the same time. And remember, there is less batter in each pan, so it will require less baking time. Keep an eye on them. Put the light on in the oven and watch it closely.

I have parchment paper circles for my pans. I often can get two cakes per sheet, then I feel that I have to put in a fresh sheet of parchment paper. I also spray the whole pan, including the parchment paper. Make sure you have enough racks to cool the layers quickly. Also you may have to make a second batch of cake batter.

Concentrate of making the cake layers first. Then while the last batch is cooling, you can work on making the filling and frosting. For my family, they prefer a lemon filling with a white cream cheese lemon flavored frosting. The cream cheese frosting is not as sweet as the usual butter cream. I sometimes will make an American Swiss Cream Frosting. Much easier to make than the standard Swiss Frosting.

Last edited:
The eighth layer is the Baker's Treat, to be enjoyed with any extra frosting and filling, in the quiet of the kitchen after a job well done.

Addie, Wow, terrific, thanks for the advice! Most points I've known but glad to have reminders and learn a few new ones. Now I won't forget a silly point and curse myself after. That is a pretty darn good check list to keep on hand.

The eighth layer is the Baker's Treat, to be enjoyed with any extra frosting and filling, in the quiet of the kitchen after a job well done.

I'm pretty sure that's not what my mom said but 'no never-mind' - it is certainly one I can follow and live with!

Ever make pnacottta? My version is not traditional, but is a low calorie, ten minute, light and fluffy desert. I tried this the other night and it was great.

Heat 1 cup of milk in the microwave for two minutes. Pour the hot milk into your blender, and add raspberry gelatine. Blend until the gelatin is completely dissolved. Put into a bowl and whisk in 1 cup of ice-cold milk. Place in the fridge, or freezer until set. The blender is key with this, to incorporate the air into the desert.

The blender whips air into the panacotta so that the texture is light and airy. I have made the following flavors:
1. sugar free hot cocoa, with unflavored gelatin
2. sugar free strawberry gelatin
3. sugar free raspberry gelatin
They all worked wonderfully.
I can imagine using lemon to make something similar in texture and flavor to a lemon chiffon pie. I imagine you could use any flavor of gelatin you like.

Of course the original panacotta was simply milk with vanilla and sugar, with unflavored gelatin dissolved into it. It has more of a custard texture.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
sea salt caramel ice cream and ginger snaps.jpg

Blue Bell Sea Salt Caramel Ice Cream parfait
with TJ'd Triple Ginger Snaps

YUM!

Wow ! All of these desserts look simply awesome ..

I am a Sicilian Cannoli - Phile ..

Sicilian Cannoli are prepared with fresh sheep´s milk Ricotta .. And are extraordinarily laborious to make ..

However, it is a family favorite during the Christmas Holidays ..

Here is one of the best recipes online:

Sicilian Cannoli recipe | Epicurious.com

Sometimes ya just wish ya hadn't...

Thrift shopping with my daughter, I found a set of 4 6inch pie plates... yayy!!!

I looked at one of my 'dessert for two' blogs and picked a simple chocolate pie recipe.. Got it all together, chilled the pie and cut into it after dinner..

What was the blogger thinking? Two ingredients... Heavy cream and semi-sweet chocolate chips... Did the recipe exactly as presented..

I made a candy bar in a pie crust... :ROFLMAO:

Now to hunt down a real chocolate filling for a 6 inch pie pan...

Today its a strawberry pie.. The filling quantity and quality, for a 6 inch pie pan had better be right.. :wacko:

Ross

We had dessert for breakfast!

We eat very healthy natural foods and rarely do we stray ever so slightly from that because our bodies rebel. Well, our neighbours handed us a going away gift last night after we came home from having Chinese food - two chocolate cream donuts (which we just had for breakfast), two large slices of carrot cake, and a 6" strawberry shortcake, all from the local pastry shop!

Thankfully we will burn off that sugar with the move, though the gluten is going to be a tougher one! :ohmy:

But those donuts were so good!

Great to know that, Andy... I have found that an 8X8 cake recipe fills 2 6inch cake pans and knowing this about pies is a big help... :)

Ross

I just did the math. One of the few things I remember from high school geometry is A=radius squared times 3.1415. My previous post assumes the depths of both size pies are the same.

Sometimes ya just wish ya hadn't...

Thrift shopping with my daughter, I found a set of 4 6inch pie plates... yayy!!!

I looked at one of my 'dessert for two' blogs and picked a simple chocolate pie recipe.. Got it all together, chilled the pie and cut into it after dinner..

What was the blogger thinking? Two ingredients... Heavy cream and semi-sweet chocolate chips... Did the recipe exactly as presented..

I made a candy bar in a pie crust... :ROFLMAO:

Now to hunt down a real chocolate filling for a 6 inch pie pan...

Today its a strawberry pie.. The filling quantity and quality, for a 6 inch pie pan had better be right.. :wacko:

Ross

chocolate chocolate dream whip pie.jpg

Chocolate-Chocolate Dream Whip Pie

choclate buttermilk pie.jpg

Chocolate Buttermilk Pie

:yum:

I was going to make a blueberry tart sort of thing this afternoon. I have a dough recipe that uses cream cheese instead of shortening. I'll make the tart out of that, then layer in the cream cheese (mixed with a little sugar and vanilla), put the blueberries on top, and throw the whole thing in the oven to finish cooking the shell.

I've tried to make blueberry cream cheese danishes out of pie dough and while they taste great, the pie dough never seems to get done and I'm always eating it raw. So I'm making a stab at cooking the shell first today. Then I'll put it back in the oven with the cream cheese and blueberries on it and see what happens.

My boy made us butter and sugar crepes for dessert tonight.

Attachments

• 0520171857b_HDR.jpg
    0520171857b_HDR.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 107
Back
Top Bottom