What's For Dessert?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We just tried out a tofu cheesecake. OMG

I knew from my days of making ricotta cheesecake that you need to go heavy on the flavoring. So I added 1 T. vanilla, 1 t. almond extract and 1/4 t. lemon oil. I topped it with a thickened can of tart cherries.

We just tried out a tofu cheesecake. OMG

I knew from my days of making ricotta cheesecake that you need to go heavy on the flavoring. So I added 1 T. vanilla, 1 t. almond extract and 1/4 t. lemon oil. I topped it with a thickened can of tart cherries.

Was that OMG good or OMG bad? I have a croud of vegans to cater for in July.

Was that OMG good or OMG bad? I have a croud of vegans to cater for in July.

Good. This is the recipe I followed, with the following adjustments. As suggested in one of the comments, I put the cheesecake ingredients together the day before making, to let the flavors meld, and set in the refrigerator. I upped the vanilla to 1 T., added 1 t. almond extract and 1/4 t. lemon oil. The lemon oil is key, buy some today if you don't have it in stock.

Tofu Cheesecake Recipe - Allrecipes.com

I topped the cheesecake with one can of tart cherries, thickened with corn starch.

Last edited:
Well, it was way too hot to turn the oven on, so I went with the no bake version of a tart, which didn't include a crust. But at least it was edible.

Please ignore my old table - that's the one I do crafts on. I didn't realize it would look so bad in the pic.

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 114
Our daily dessert, when it's just OH and me, it's usually fresh fruit - which is the norm in most Italian homes. However, when we have guests, I do make desserts and pastries. One of our favourites is Piedmontese 'Bonet', recipe as follows:

6 eggs
1/2 litre milk
1 small (sherry) glass of sugar
3 tbsp cocoa powder
200g soft almond amaretti.

Line a rectangular bread tin with caramelised sugar and water
Separate the eggs, and beat the yolks together with the sugar.
Soften the amaretti in the milk with the cocoa powder,
Beat the egg whites into firm peaks.
Put the mixture into the sugar-lined tin and cook in a bain marie for 30 minutes at a medium temperature.

When it's ready (test by lightly pressing a finger on it), turn it out of the tin and fridge it until you're ready to serve it. Serve in slices.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Our daily dessert, when it's just OH and me, it's usually fresh fruit - which is the norm in most Italian homes. However, when we have guests, I do make desserts and pastries. One of our favourites is Piedmontese 'Bonet', recipe as follows:

6 eggs
1/2 litre milk
1 small (sherry) glass of sugar
3 tbsp cocoa powder
200g soft almond amaretti.

Line a rectangular bread tin with caramelised sugar and water
Separate the eggs, and beat the yolks together with the sugar.
Soften the amaretti in the milk with the cocoa powder,
Beat the egg whites into firm peaks.
Put the mixture into the sugar-lined tin and cook in a bain marie for 30 minutes at a medium temperature.

When it's ready (test by lightly pressing a finger on it), turn it out of the tin and fridge it until you're ready to serve it. Serve in slices.

di reston

This sounds really interesting, di. I have a couple of questions.

- caramelized sugar? Do you mean caramel?

- how many tablespoons equals a "small (sherry) glass of sugar"?

- So at the end, we have egg yolks and sugar; cookies, milk and cocoa powder; and whipped egg whites. Do you then mix these all together, or layer them, or? The directions are not clear at this point.

Thank you [emoji2]

I thought caramel was sugar just caramelized. I was thinking of making a cheesecake one of these days and caramelizing some sugar to pour over the top. I have no idea if that is a good idea or not.

I've always made caramelised sugar with water, 30oz white loaf sugar (or granulated) and 3/4 American cup of water, to line the pan. I use a rectangular loaf tin, 4 1/2in x 9in. I'm a bit wary of doing the caramelised sugar with just sugar! However, each to his own! The 'cookies' are traditionally almond amaretti. Don't get the ones that are made with apricot kernels - they don't work. You fold everything together when you've done the initial preparation, and pour into the pre-sugared loaf tin, and cook in a bain marie for 30 mins. When you turn it out onto the serving dish, decorate with a line of almond amaretti lengthways down the middle. Fridge and eat cold. Whipped cream is an option if you like the idea.

di reston

Chef John did a video of making caramel custard which uses the caramel from melted sugar in a saucepan. I'd never done that before and I had no problem with it at all.

Chef John did a video of making caramel custard which uses the caramel from melted sugar in a saucepan. I'd never done that before and I had no problem with it at all.

You just have to be willing to stand right there and hope you don't have to make a quick trip to the bathroom or answer your phone which just happens to be in the other room.

A New Recipe

I found this recipe when I was on FaceBook,
"The BEST Coconut Pound Cake"
003.JPG

006.JPG

009.JPG

010.JPG

ACK! :yuk:

WAY too sweet
Chewy
HORRID!
... and I had such high hopes.

It went in the trash... DH said
"Please, don't even give that cake away. It's bad!"

For him to turn down cake, you know it's bad.
Oh well. You gotta try new recipes from time to time, right?

You just have to be willing to stand right there and hope you don't have to make a quick trip to the bathroom or answer your phone which just happens to be in the other room.

If it's important, they'll call back.

By the way, did I hear that today is National Blueberry Cheesecake day?

Made my birthday cake, pie really, today. I'd wanted a lemon meringue pie for my birthday but since local strawberries were "in," I opted for strawberry pie instead. So...

Today I finally made my lemon meringue pie and I wasn't disappointed.

I could've gone to my recipe file or one of my cookbooks for a recipe but I decided instead to "graze" the Internet for one. Found one at King Arthur Flour and decided to give it a try. Holy cow! A real keeper.

It's just about the silkiest lemon pie filling I've ever come across, the crust is awesome and the meringue is super.

If anyone is interested in making this wonderful pie, here is the recipe.

Attachments

• Image0110.jpg
    Image0110.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 121
hmmm, thanks Katie H... looks like a keeper - even the picture is just like my Mom's, ... big sigh...

have saved the link, thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom