What's For Dessert?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not baking but I'm eating. Does that count? GF made a lemon meringue pie. I had to have two pieces..:pig:

Of course Rock!
That's why the title of this is thread is ambiguous.
"What's For Dessert?"
... whether you made it, bought it, were given it, someone brought in a goodie for the office to share or plain just ate something yummy after a meal or as a snack... ;)

I had a lovely time this morning going through all your posts!

There are many differences between what you call dessert and what it is for us. For example, those wonderful pictures you all contributed we would call "gàteau", and they're almost always made for special occasions. In Italy too, it tends to be called 'torta', and can be served for a special occasion. In the UK, a dessert is a sweet end-of-meal dish that could be many things:

rice pudding, steamed pudding, trifles and possets (cream-based, or, in the case of trifle, it's anything but trifle. It's opulent. It dates back to the late 1700's, see Hannah Glasse. The pancakes also count as desserts: crèpe suzette; pancakes are eaten on Shrove Tuesday in the UK. There are special celebration cakes - as there are in most Christian countries: Wedding cakes, Easter cakes, Christmas cakes, for celebration. Austria is an Aladin's cave of fabulous paterisserie, in many cases, not described as 'dessert', but, although our 'gateau' would count, these would count as 'dessert' in the US, and here they don't. What's in a name, I ask myself! Would you mind if I broke the rules and said, 'would you like me to send you my recipe for pears braised in Moscato and crystallized ginger with brandy snaps?' To me, that would be a dessert!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

di - our deserts are the same as yours, so roughly

- gateau is cake - torte is pie - sweet biscuits are cookies - gelato is ice cream - etc.

Anything we have at the end of a meal usually sweet and that is not considered a 'savoury', we call desert!

Even at breakfast we can have a jam or jelly (on toast) to finish off weith our coffee. I find that a sweet helps to cut the appetite to signal your brain to stop gorging yourself ... :LOL:

Thank you dragnlaw! Today is Shrove Tuesday, and by tradition, it's Pancake Day, symbolising eating up all the goodies before Lent starts. In many Parishes, Pancake races are held, when the competitors run 1/2 mile, the winner being the one who still has the pancake at the end of the race.

I love pancakes, so here is my recipe. I like them thin enough to make crèpes suzette:

8 Oz flour (plain)
3 eggs
generous 3/4 pt milk
knob of butter
2 tbs brandy
pinch salt
orange-flower water
pinch salt

Mix the flour, egg and milk, then add the butter, melted, 2 tbsp brandy and orange flower water to taste. Leave to stand at least one hour and strain before you make your pancakes. Use a ladle to pour the same amount of batter into the pan to be sure you get the right result each time. Add a little more butter each time you add the batter for the next pancake - they should turn out the same colour each side on both sides. You can use these to make Crèpes Suzette or any other version.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

di reston
Pancake Day for our household here in Arizona USA are these:
014.jpg
Buttermilk Pancakes with loads of butter and/or some other toppings,
like flavored syrups, chocolate chips, whipped cream, fruit, bacon ... and on and on... either in or on top of your pancake.
We enjoy our pancakes for breakfast/brunch mostly, but dinner is perfectly fine too ;)
I try to make mine as fluffy and light as I can. :-p

Jeannie was aghast when I told her the "kids" do not do dessert much.. :wacko:
She said we will fix that when she gets here.. ;)
I will search the thrift shops to replace the ramekins, cake and pie tins, etc., I didn't move with me.. :LOL:

Ross

008.JPG

Look what I found, look what I found!!!!!!
Made a last minute run to Trader Joe's got grab some wine for Sunday's feast,
and look what was just inside the door!!!
(I should have bought two, they freeze well, don't they?)
This will be dessert tonight and whatever is left :glare:
will be breakfast tomorrow ;)

We had churros with chocolate sauce that were an excess from my cheeseburger cake with churro fries and raspberry ketchup from last night. We've still got supplies for 2 more cheeseburgers.

Tomorrow I’m making two desserts for Sunday.

Some time ago my older daughter shared a recipe on Facebook for a dessert made with ice cream sandwiches, Oreo cookies and Cool Whip with the comment “Will someone please make this for me?” I thought I’d surprise her.

Since I don’t like Cool Whip, I’m also making tres leches cake as an alternative.

SO is making a special Armenian sugar cookie we all love.

View attachment 29575

Look what I found, look what I found!!!!!!
Made a last minute run to Trader Joe's got grab some wine for Sunday's feast,
and look what was just inside the door!!!
(I should have bought two, they freeze well, don't they?)
This will be dessert tonight and whatever is left :glare:
will be breakfast tomorrow ;)
I loved getting those @ TJ's..
Thought that was in the past with no TJ's here...
Shazam!!! Aldies has them here and even cheaper than TJ's.. :yum:

And yes, they do freeze well...

Ross

Back
Top Bottom