What's For Dessert?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fortunately, senior citizens here get a lot of benefits. The city has a senior ride that is free. And it uses normal cars that we can get in and out of easily. If I take Pirate with me, he can run inside quickly and get me one of those store carts. Now you have my mind racing about how I can pull this off.

Pirate will do most of the shopping for the big items like gallon of milk, etc. I can head to the produce section. Every time I buy a full bunch of celery, most of it sits in the fridge and rots. Now I know where the cut celery is. He doesn't. He is still in the learning process of the store. It is a HUGE store. And it has 32 check out lines. Most of the time they are all open and working. Whereas I have been shopping there for more than ten years.

Every month when I make out the grocery list, I break it down into two halves of the store. He will get the easy half. And besides, his cart can hold more than mine.

Thanks for giving my mind a jolt. I needed it this morning. I am still half asleep.

Hasn't anyone been having dessert lately?

I found my new favorite Brownie Recipe:

https://www.shugarysweets.com/bakery-style-brownies/

001.jpg

I did two additions:
1/2 tsp. Espresso Powder
1/2 C. chopped Macadamia Nuts

I went out this afternoon and got a pint of
really good Vanilla Ice Cream for round two :LOL:

My SIL used to be our supplier of blueberry pie. Blueberries were on sale, but she's 700 miles away from us now. What to do? Make my own! Just a little one, since we *gasp* have to eat it ourselves.
IMG_20190128_000012251.jpg

My SIL used to be our supplier of blueberry pie. Blueberries were on sale, but she's 700 miles away from us now. What to do? Make my own! Just a little one, since we *gasp* have to eat it ourselves.
View attachment 33318

If you find it impossible to eat that blueberry pie, send it up here. Twice this week my sugar readings have been way too low.

I have this set of four little tart (pie) pans. Perfect for making individual servings. About the size of Table Talk pies.

I bought a couple of cooking apples one time. Thinking I would eat them. Instead they went into those tart pans. I always keep a package of those Pillsbury pie crusts. Just enough apple for two. A great way to control sugar intake for diabetics. You don't get to go back for seconds.

Thanks, Ross, that looks good! I've added it to my "Buckles, Cobblers, Crisps, and Crumbles" folder. Bonus: I have fine ground corn meal. If we brave the cold later this week (single digits for the high) and do an Aldi run, I'll have to hope they have blueberries on sale. Everywhere else has them at around $3 bucks a pint; Aldi had them for $1.79 this week.

If you find it impossible to eat that blueberry pie, send it up here...
Sorry, Addie, you'll just have to make your own. Himself had his second piece last night (he said that this crust was better than his Mom ever made - it WAS a good one :yum: ), and I had my second piece for breakfast, before he got up!

It was just a small one anyway. The pie dish couldn't be any bigger than six inches across at the top.

A buddy stopped by with a surprise: a pear frangipane tart from an Italian bakery in Jersey City.

My God it was good.

Crap; now he's scheming something with my wife. Probably gonna cost me.

The tart was just a distraction! Curses, they know my weaknesses.

Last edited:
Thanks, Ross, that looks good! I've added it to my "Buckles, Cobblers, Crisps, and Crumbles" folder. Bonus: I have fine ground corn meal. If we brave the cold later this week (single digits for the high) and do an Aldi run, I'll have to hope they have blueberries on sale. Everywhere else has them at around $3 bucks a pint; Aldi had them for $1.79 this week.

Sorry, Addie, you'll just have to make your own. Himself had his second piece last night (he said that this crust was better than his Mom ever made - it WAS a good one :yum: ), and I had my second piece for breakfast, before he got up!

It was just a small one anyway. The pie dish couldn't be any bigger than six inches across at the top.

Oh well. But I am sure with your kind heart had there been even a sliver left over, you would have sent it to me. Thanks anyway. ;)

Without a shadow of doubt, my favourite dessert is Crèpes Suzette! I've always opted for that dessert even when I was a teenager, and I learned to make it years ago. We're coming up to Shrove Tuesday - Pancake Day, and I always make it for OH. I do it for his birthday as well. They're yummy. But I only do them every now and again because they're fattening!

di reston

Tonight I had the last of the oatmeal raisin walnut cookies from a batch I made a couple of weeks ago.

I guess I have simple tastes. I love these cookies. They are on a very short list of great cookies. I feel compelled to make another batch tomorrow but will probably make chocolate chip cookies next.

I found these in the mega-mart
https://www.entenmanns.com/en/products/minis-pound-cake?category=112

… and saw fresh Strawberries already … hmmmm

View attachment 34099

… I macerated the Berries in some Stevia and Kahlua,
then added some nice whipped cream
and Bob's Your Uncle!!

About once or twice a year I just have to give in and purchase an Entenmann's pound cake. I have never had a bad product of theirs. What of the one things I love about my supermarket, they always have Entenmanns on an end cap and is easy to find.

Tonight I had the last of the oatmeal raisin walnut cookies from a batch I made a couple of weeks ago.

I guess I have simple tastes. I love these cookies. They are on a very short list of great cookies. I feel compelled to make another batch tomorrow but will probably make chocolate chip cookies next.

Between chocolate chip and oatmeal raisin cookies, my daughter would rather have the latter. I don't add the nuts. Husband's family allergy. You never know when they are going to show up looking for goodies to eat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom