"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2017, 01:50 PM   #401
Head Chef

Crepe or Cake

Wha?!??!!? 'The main thing is the cake.' no, no, no - the main thing is the custard filling and the chocolate ganache. My mother made this a lot in the 50's and I don't remember how the cake was but the rest?.... yummmm

Plus I always had to have a 7 layer cake for my birthday, also with a ganache and peanut butter & banana pinwheel sandwiches. - That all I ever wanted.

Now that this has been said I'm going to have to go look for a 7 layer cake recipe. I don't even know how to describe the cake. They were very thin layers. Could they have been more crepe than cake?

PS and thanks for the links Addie, custard and ganache aside, one still needs the best cake part one can do! .LOL

Old 04-19-2017, 09:25 PM   #402
Executive Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Do you mean this type of cake dragn?
7-Layer Cakes - Caroline's Cakes

Old 04-19-2017, 10:43 PM   #403
Head Chef

I don't know if you consider it dessert, but I think later tonight I may whip up a batch of garlic butter biscuits ala Red Lobster. Not the boxed mix, but the ones from Bisquick. I like those much better (and they're cheaper, too).
Old 04-20-2017, 07:11 AM   #404
Head Chef

I most certainly do! Thanks Kgirl! the Southern Chocolate one is likely what she used to make.

Probably the most difficult part is splitting the cakes... but I've never figured out why it is "7" layers. Or was it because at least one cake wouldn't split nicely and had to be scrapped?
Old 04-20-2017, 09:34 AM   #405
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
I most certainly do! Thanks Kgirl! the Southern Chocolate one is likely what she used to make.

Probably the most difficult part is splitting the cakes... but I've never figured out why it is "7" layers. Or was it because at least one cake wouldn't split nicely and had to be scrapped?
I happen to have six 9" cake pans and four 6" ones. I have found that when I want to make a multiple layer cake, I place just half the batter for each layer in each pan. If you want all the layers to be the same, use a ladle to put the batter in each pan.

Now I doubt you have enough pans to do this all at once. So use what pans you have using the ladle method. That way all the layers will be the same height. One ladle full for each layer. Even if you did have enough cake pans, there would be too many pans in the oven for them to bake evenly. Place no more than three pans in the oven at the same time. And remember, there is less batter in each pan, so it will require less baking time. Keep an eye on them. Put the light on in the oven and watch it closely.

I have parchment paper circles for my pans. I often can get two cakes per sheet, then I feel that I have to put in a fresh sheet of parchment paper. I also spray the whole pan, including the parchment paper. Make sure you have enough racks to cool the layers quickly. Also you may have to make a second batch of cake batter.

Concentrate of making the cake layers first. Then while the last batch is cooling, you can work on making the filling and frosting. For my family, they prefer a lemon filling with a white cream cheese lemon flavored frosting. The cream cheese frosting is not as sweet as the usual butter cream. I sometimes will make an American Swiss Cream Frosting. Much easier to make than the standard Swiss Frosting.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:27 PM   #406
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

The eighth layer is the Baker's Treat, to be enjoyed with any extra frosting and filling, in the quiet of the kitchen after a job well done.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:57 PM   #407
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
The eighth layer is the Baker's Treat, to be enjoyed with any extra frosting and filling, in the quiet of the kitchen after a job well done.

I never thought of that, but you're right PF!!
Old 04-20-2017, 09:27 PM   #408
Head Chef

Addie, Wow, terrific, thanks for the advice! Most points I've known but glad to have reminders and learn a few new ones. Now I won't forget a silly point and curse myself after. That is a pretty darn good check list to keep on hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I'm pretty sure that's not what my mom said but 'no never-mind' - it is certainly one I can follow and live with!
Old 04-23-2017, 06:36 AM   #409
Master Chef

Ever make pnacottta? My version is not traditional, but is a low calorie, ten minute, light and fluffy desert. I tried this the other night and it was great.

Heat 1 cup of milk in the microwave for two minutes. Pour the hot milk into your blender, and add raspberry gelatine. Blend until the gelatin is completely dissolved. Put into a bowl and whisk in 1 cup of ice-cold milk. Place in the fridge, or freezer until set. The blender is key with this, to incorporate the air into the desert.

The blender whips air into the panacotta so that the texture is light and airy. I have made the following flavors:
1. sugar free hot cocoa, with unflavored gelatin
2. sugar free strawberry gelatin
3. sugar free raspberry gelatin
They all worked wonderfully.
I can imagine using lemon to make something similar in texture and flavor to a lemon chiffon pie. I imagine you could use any flavor of gelatin you like.

Of course the original panacotta was simply milk with vanilla and sugar, with unflavored gelatin dissolved into it. It has more of a custard texture.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 01:27 AM   #410
Executive Chef

Click image for larger version

Name:	sea salt caramel ice cream and ginger snaps.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	26890

Blue Bell Sea Salt Caramel Ice Cream parfait
with TJ'd Triple Ginger Snaps

YUM!

Tags
dessert, recipe

What's For Dessert? [ATTACH]22121[/ATTACH] We don't have dessert [I]every night[/I], but when we do, I do it up! I made [URL="https://www.hersheys.com/recipes/recipe-details.aspx?id=98"]Hershey's Best Brownies[/URL], sans the Creamy Frosting this time (DH loves that!) topped with Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream and [URL="http://www.amazon.com/Hersheys-Peppermint-Sundae-Syrup-Bottle/dp/B008J5G1DI"]Hershey's York Peppermint Sundae Syrup[/URL] MMM! How about you, what did you have? 3 stars 1 reviews