What's For Dessert?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Our recipes are similar. The one I'm giving you is for a ten inch round cheesecake.

Chief Longwind's Creamy New York Cheesecake

I modified the original New York Cheesecake recipe by adding more moisture. I also adjusted the cooking temps and time to allow for the ten inch pie, vs. the original recipe 9 inch pie. The adjustments worked perfectly. Enjoy.

Ingredients:
Crust:
1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs.
4 tbs. sugar
8 tbs. real butter

Filling:
6 - 8oz. pkgs. cream cheese
1 1/2 cups sour cream
2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/8 cups sugar
3 tbs. Cornstarch
1/2 cup milk
3 large eggs.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
Place the graham cracker crumbs and sugar into a large bowl. Melt the butter and combine with the crust ingredients. Spread evenly across the bottom and sides of either a 10 inch round spring-form pan, or a 9 inch square spring-form pan. Place pan with crust into the freezer for ten minutes.

Place the cream cheese in a large, microwave safe bowl and heat on high for 1 minute in the microwave to soften. Beat in the remaining ingredients until the filling is silky smooth. This is easier of course with an immersion blender, a mixer, or a wire whisk.

Pour the filling into the pie crust and smooth until the top is evenly distributed and flat. Place into the hot oven and bake for 15 minutes. Then, reduce heat to 180 degrees and bake for 1 hour. Turn off the oven and partially open the oven door. Shake the pan gently. The custard should jiggle lightly in the middle, but not be like a liquid. Let the cheesecake cool with the oven until it reaches room temperature. Top with your favorite cheesecake topping.

This cheesecake is still creamy when chilled before serving.

Original New York Cheesecake Recipe
Rich, and yummy. This cheesecake is my favorite. My whole family loves it. Here’s the recipe.

Ingrediants:

For the crust:
1 ½ cups Graham Cracker Crumbs
6 tbs. Butter
2 tbs. Sugar

For the Filling:
2 lbs. Cream cheese (4 eight ounce packs)
¾ cup Sugar
2 large Eggs
1 tsp. Vanilla extract
2 tbs. Cornstarch
1 cup Sour Cream

Preheat the oven to 450’ F.
Combine the crust ingrediants and press into the sides and bottom of a 9-inch springform pan. Place the crust into your freezer for 15 minutes.

Soften the cream cheese in your microwave (Don’t over do it; the cream cheese must be warm, not hot.) and place into a large bowl. Cream in the sugar until everything is smooth. Beat in the remaining ingrediants until all is well blended, smooth and creamy.

Remove the crust from the freezer and pour in the filling. Place in the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Lower the temperature to 200’ F. And bake for an additional 35 minutes. Turn off the heat and crack the oven door. Let the cheesecake cool with the oven for 2 to 3 hours. This will help prevent the custard from cracking.

For a firmer cheesecake, bake at 200’ F. for 45 minutes. My favorite topping on cheesecake is sour cream that has been sweetened with sugar or Stevia. But you can put virtually any fruit pie filling on top that you want. Cheesecake goes great with apple, pineapple, strawberry, blueberry, cherry, even banana cream. It’s all good.

If you want to get real tricky, line the spring form pan with parchment paper and omit the crust. Cook the cheesecake as directed above for the firmer custard, remove the pan sides when all is cool. You will see that the custard has pulled toward the center and is smaller than the 9 inch pan sides. It will fit perfectly into the graham cracker crust you will make into the same pan.

Carefully slide the parchment paper and custard off of the pan bottom. Then bake your crust. Fill the crust when done with chocolate or maple fudge, or firm fruit-filling and allow to cool.

Finally, slide a thin, plastic cutting sheet under the filling and lift the custard over the pan. Slide the custard off of the parchment paper and into the crust, to sit on top of the other filling. Refrigerate for an hour, and serve.

You could make this red, white and blue by using strawberries on the bottom, followed by cheesecake, and finally blueberries on top.

Finally, a multi-custard Pie that is incredible, created by myself and P.A.G., my eldest daughter. I give you:

Lemon-Lime--Cheesecake Desert

This desert is comprised of a standard Graham Cracker crust filled with a lemon/lime.key lime custard and is topped with a very rich and creamy, home-made no-bake cheesecake. All of this is garnished with fresh strawberries that that have been mashed and macerated with sugar. Sprinkle on a touch of cinnamon to complete the desert.

Graham Cracker Crust
2 cups Graham Cracker Crumbs
1/4 cup Granulated Sugar
1/4 cup Butter -- melted

Lemon-Lime-Key Lime Pie Custard Ingredients:
2 cans Sweetened Condensed Milk
¼ cup Key Lime Juice
¼ cup Lime Juice
½ cup Lemon Juice
8 Eggs

Preheat the oven to 425 F.
Combine the crust ingredients, mix completely, and press into a 10 inch spring form pan until the sides and bottom are evenly covered. Place into the hot oven and bake for seven minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool while making the filling. Reduce oven heat to 350 F.

You will need three mixing bowls for this next part. Separate the eggs and place 4 of the yolks into 1 of the bowls. Place the other four into a second bowl, with all of the whites going into the third bowl. Save the the egg whites for making pancakes, or add to egg-drop soup.

Add 1 can of condensed milk to one bowl, and the other can to the other bowl. Combine the key lime, and lime juice and pour into one of the bowls. Add the lemon juice to the other bowl. Stir each bowl with a balloon whisk until everything is combined and smooth. Add a bit of green food coloring to the lime mixture to liven the color.

Alternately pour the two mixtures into the graham cracker pie crust, swirling into pretty patterns. Place the pie into the oven and bake for twenty to twenty-five minutes. To insure that the custard is completely set, test with a toothpick. Insert it into the pie and then remove it. If it comes out clean, then the pie is done. Remove from the oven and let cool.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Mahalos, thanks PF and Addie, I'll let you all know when the time comes...

If you do decide to go with the seven inch pan, look for a recipe that is for a small one. So many recipes call for a graham cracker crusts. I am not a big fan of that one. So I use a crushed cookie recipe. Oreos, chocolate, vanilla cookies. I even use ginger snaps for the pumpkin one I make.

If you use a recipe that calls for the sweetened condensed milk, turn the can upside down so that the sugar is at the top of the can when you open it. Do this before you even start. The liquid behind the sugar will push out all the sugar. I store my cans like that so that they are always ready to use. :angel:

In my recipe for the key-lime-lemon/cheesecake pie, I forgot the cheesecake part. Simply use Jello Instant Cheesecake, make according to directions, and pour the unset filling over top of the cooled key-lime-lemon filling. Chill until ready to serve.

Alternately, you could use the Kraft brand cheesecake cream cheese that comes in a tub. It's soft enough, and tastes like cheesecake filling.

Seeeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last night I made two apple pies. One for my daughter (her daughter went apple picking) and one for Spike. Pirate is trying to lose weight (none for him) and I am diabetic. So I pass on it also. I usually make them mile high. But there was just enough apples for the two pies. So they are just a mound high instead. :angel:

img_1439838_0_a02b5b4069f8b097c30f058f40c071c4.jpg

img_1439838_1_e83be842f83bdd8859b2ecd712f83a32.jpg

Thank you. I usually make cheesecake for Easter and New Years

ice cream sandwich.jpeg

I'd never heard of this taste treat until meeting my husband.
Take two warm waffles and a slice , yes slice from boxed Neapolitan
Ice Cream, you remember what that is right?
Sandwich and dust generously with powdered sugar
Very tasty
The first time I every had this was "at the shore, on the boardwalk in Wildwood New Jersey" on our honeymoon :)

Trying something different, Spiced Rum Cakes.
I used Captain Morgan's rather than Bacardi,
and the house smells heavenly!

005.JPG

One cake will stay here (quality control dontcha know ;))
and the other is going
into a cake tin to be mailed to my Mother
for Christmas. Her friend INSISTS that she
gets a piece too, so maybe I'll make more
and send her a cake as well this year.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom