What's For Dessert?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So how was the rum spice cake? Craig loves Cayman/Tortuga rum cakes and I've thought about making one for him.

No desert here for a while. :-(

So how was the rum spice cake? Craig loves Cayman/Tortuga rum cakes and I've thought about making one for him.

No desert here for a while. :-(

medtran they did not "turn" out!
I forgot to spray them with 'Pam for Baking' which really helps in insuring that cakes don't stick in their pan...
so DH got TWOcakes to himself and I started over... :LOL:
I do have to say, the taste was, meh, no better than using the white Rum.
Next time I'm going to try it with a spiced cake batter instead of rum.

It's the holiday season everyone, where's YOUR desserts?

Huh. Bummer, K-girl, they looked lovely.

I used to bake a very fruit-heavy fruit cake when I was in high school. It was actually quite good. DH brought home some Captain Morgan Cannon Blast, which he likes, but it tastes like rotgut to me. Bet it would be good in a fruitcake though. The bottle is really cool, it looks like a cannon ball.

Last edited:
medtran they did not "turn" out!
I forgot to spray them with 'Pam for Baking' which really helps in insuring that cakes don't stick in their pan...
so DH got TWOcakes to himself and I started over... :LOL:
I do have to say, the taste was, meh, no better than using the white Rum.
Next time I'm going to try it with a spiced cake batter instead of rum.

It's the holiday season everyone, where's YOUR desserts?

Too bad about the cakes. I'd actually use spiced cake and spiced rum.

Haven't felt like baking lately. I've got the stuff for flan, we have an abundance of heavy cream, separate shopping trips and we both bought cream for T-day cooking. Also have a couple of very ripe bananas in the freezer to make banana bread. We like to toast it and have Bananas Foster over the top. As far as holiday baking, I may make a batch or 2 of cookies but also want to wait to see if our DGD wants to come for the week between Christmas and the New Year. Her dad doesn't seem to want her in the kitchen when he's cooking, and her mom, our DD, doesn't cook much more than basic stuff, so DGD always cooks with me when she comes here. I know she'd like to make cookies, candies, etc., especially since we cooked mostly savory, except for a quick bread orange loaf and a chocolate chip, pecan bread pudding with caramel sauce that was our T-day dessert, when she was last here.

001.jpg

I turned our cheesecake into a Turtle Cheesecake tonight.
Fudge sauce, Caramel sauce and chopped Pecans, MMM!

I am planning to try some easy dessert recipes and thought of making chocolate avocado mousse for lunch.

I threw together a half recipe for chocolate chip cookies. A dozen went to the elderly gentleman on the first floor. The second dozen went to Pirate with a tall glass of ice cold milk and the third dozen to Spike to take home. None for me. :angel:

View attachment 24111

Turtle Cheesecake
I made a ganache from dark chocolate, melted some caramels with heavy cream & spread that on top and a finally, a flourish of toasted pecans
How good does THAT look? HUH?! I mean COME ON MAN!

Ohhhh, K Girl. Yer killin' me here -- as a recently diagnosed heading-for-diabetes-if-I-don't-rein-in-my-sweet tooth. I should swear off even looking at your desserts or reading your drool-worthy descriptions; they're all beautiful.

I love Bear Claw ice cream. Cannot find it anywhere near us. Checked the grocery store yesterday? Bear Claw!!!!!

I'll start eating sensible when we get back to MA.

Attachments

• 2016-01-03 21.19.34.jpg
    2016-01-03 21.19.34.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 201
I've never heard of Bear Claw ice cream either, sounds delicious!

Back
Top Bottom