What's your favorite candy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bourbon-soaked dark chocolate-covered cherries.

love-smiley-035.gif

Actually, probably less. There's bourbon in the fondant, too.

Yet another reason to come visit!

aruzinsky said:
Tie between marzipan and halvah. I make my own marzipan. Joyva band halvah seems best to me. I never tried making halvah. It looks too difficult.

Would you mind sharing your marzipan recipe?

jkath said:
aruzinsky said:
Tie between marzipan and halvah. I make my own marzipan. Joyva band halvah seems best to me. I never tried making halvah. It looks too difficult.

Would you mind sharing your marzipan recipe?

No, it is simple.

Mix 50% by weight ground blanched almonds and 50% confectioner's sugar. Add just enough water so that it is slightly softer than clay. Add flavoring, which, in Europe, is traditionally bitter almond extract. A really good variation is Kirshwasser or maraschino liqueur. In mideastern countries, flavorings such as rose water, orange blossom water, or cardamom are common. Or course, if you add a liquid flavoring, this should replace some of the water, so that the marzipan is not too soft.

Roll a big (like 1 lb.) loaf in confectioners sugar, wrap airtight in plastic wrap, and age at room temperature for at least 1 month. The water and flavorings will diffuse into the particles of almond and the mixture will become firmer. You want the final result to be as firm as clay, so you must start with a less firm mixture before aging. After aging, you can reform it, or slice like cheese and eat.

Incidentally, do not increase the amount of sugar. If anything, err on the side of too much almonds. For this reason, save some ground almonds just in case the mixture becomes too thin.

Aruzinsky -
Wow - I am impressed!
A desserty thing that you must wait for an entire month to consume! What patience!
Reminds me of the time I made Rose Liquer (from my own rose bushes) for the entire family for Christmas....had to age it 6 weeks!

Thank you so very much for sharing your recipe -
I'm sending it on to my sister too, who has a passion for marzipan like no other :)

Juliev said:
I had a Heath bar today that was pretty awesome.
I LOVE Heath bars! Also Heath Bar Crunch ice cream and Klondike Heath Bar ice cream bars (actually squares--no stick).

:) Barbara

Barbara L said:
norgeskog said:
mudbug said:
Norgeskog's post reminded me of the candy I like the best, and I don't like candy all that much:

the candy the grade school/high school band kids sell during their fundraisers. Basically chocolate bars, and sometimes just bigger versions of the standard fare - but for some reason they taste better when you get 'em from a band kid.

Wasn't that made by See's. I remember buying it a few times to help the neighbor kids.
I'm pretty sure our fund-raiser candy bars (in CA) were made by See's. The ones sold here are made by America's Finest Chocolate (I think part of Reader's Digest). Not as good as See's, but still good.

By any chance, do you the "World's Finest Chocolate" ? I used to sell that stuff when I was a kid in Band. The bars, with almonds, were good, chocolate-covered almonds were good, but what was killer were the Mint Chocolate squares. About half a cubic centimeter of mint chocolate, with a little dark chocolate poured over the top.

One year, I actually reached second place in sales, and won the 5 lb bar of chocolate. I never really could eat the stuff after that thing (and I didn't get to eat much of it, either!).

Personally, I like gummi worms and bears, sour gummi worms, and since we're coming up on Halloween, candy corn, and a few other seasonal treats. I also have a taste for homemade fudge, but don't normally make much myself.

AllenMI said:
Barbara L said:
norgeskog said:
mudbug said:
Norgeskog's post reminded me of the candy I like the best, and I don't like candy all that much:

the candy the grade school/high school band kids sell during their fundraisers. Basically chocolate bars, and sometimes just bigger versions of the standard fare - but for some reason they taste better when you get 'em from a band kid.

Wasn't that made by See's. I remember buying it a few times to help the neighbor kids.
I'm pretty sure our fund-raiser candy bars (in CA) were made by See's. The ones sold here are made by America's Finest Chocolate (I think part of Reader's Digest). Not as good as See's, but still good.

By any chance, do you the "World's Finest Chocolate" ? I used to sell that stuff when I was a kid in Band. The bars, with almonds, were good, chocolate-covered almonds were good, but what was killer were the Mint Chocolate squares. About half a cubic centimeter of mint chocolate, with a little dark chocolate poured over the top.

One year, I actually reached second place in sales, and won the 5 lb bar of chocolate. I never really could eat the stuff after that thing (and I didn't get to eat much of it, either!).

Personally, I like gummi worms and bears, sour gummi worms, and since we're coming up on Halloween, candy corn, and a few other seasonal treats. I also have a taste for homemade fudge, but don't normally make much myself.
I'm not sure what you're asking (I think you left a word or two out), but the kids here sell World's Finest Chocolate bars. I don't think I've seen the mints, but they sure sound good!

I also love those "Lifesavers-N-Cream".. I think that's what they're called. My favorite is the strawberry.

lol@lifesavers-n-cream.. they are called Creamsavers..

blonde moment setting in again.

Back
Top Bottom