"WHIP and CHILL" does it still exist?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They have this great video that plays at the Museum of Science and Industry, I forget exactly what section it is in, where it shows how a 'lemon meringue pie' is commercially produced.
We stood there and watched it for 15 minutes waiting for some sort of fruit or ingredient we recognized to be add, it never was.... just chemical mix after chemical mix.
Of course I am sure they picked the worst one they could find for the video, LOL.
As my grade 11 chemistry teacher used to say, everything is chemistry. You are made of chemicals. Fresh spring water is a chemical. Mother's milk fresh from the teat is a chemical.

I eat alot of "organic" and so-called "natural" foods like beef and fruits (as if there were such a thing as a "synthetic" cow, lol, what's that, like a robocow?) for various reasons. But I'll never get over the ignorance that gets displayed by normally intelligent people. You'd think that if it was made by nature, it just MUST be healthy. I've got some natural botulism and arsenic for you, if you want to talk about all-natural things that will kill you quicker than all the laboratory chemicals in the world.

Here's the fact: just because something is made in a laboratory, doesn't mean it's bad for you, and just because something was made by mother nature, doesn't mean it's good for you. You have no greater chance of getting cancer from whip n' chill just because it didn't grow in the ground or get excreted by an animal. The belief that the laboratory automatically imparts harmful qualities to food versus animals or plants is, frankly, equivalent to superstition. It's magical thinking, baseless in reality. Unless you have some specific evidence that this produce is harmful (which you don't), you're just talking out of ignorance and fear.

The problem I see here is the inverse of the problem in the 60's. Back then, people thought something was good because it was made in a lab. Novelty became a substitute for quality. Now we condemn anything that was made in a lab, but think anything natural is great. That's about as stupid, only in reverse. If something made in a lab is better, for whatever reason, then I'll use the lab product. If something grown in the ground is better, then I'll use that. I'll pay more for so-called "organic" beef and eggs because I think the methods those producers use is more humane, not because of some stupid knee-jerk prejudice against "chemistry" (talk about biting the hand that feeds you, considering how dependent we are on chemistry in all aspects of our lives)

It's sad that fear and propaganda has made such a self-evidently true proposition like "better living through chemistry" (and make no mistake, you ARE living better because of chemistry, no matter how you deny it) something people snicker at!

Sorry for the rant, lol. Just had to get that off my chest.

As my grade 11 chemistry teacher used to say, everything is chemistry. You are made of chemicals. Fresh spring water is a chemical. Mother's milk fresh from the teat is a chemical.

I eat alot of "organic" and so-called "natural" foods like beef and fruits (as if there were such a thing as a "synthetic" cow, lol, what's that, like a robocow?) for various reasons. But I'll never get over the ignorance that gets displayed by normally intelligent people. You'd think that if it was made by nature, it just MUST be healthy. I've got some natural botulism and arsenic for you, if you want to talk about all-natural things that will kill you quicker than all the laboratory chemicals in the world.

Here's the fact: just because something is made in a laboratory, doesn't mean it's bad for you, and just because something was made by mother nature, doesn't mean it's good for you. You have no greater chance of getting cancer from whip n' chill just because it didn't grow in the ground or get excreted by an animal. The belief that the laboratory automatically imparts harmful qualities to food versus animals or plants is, frankly, equivalent to superstition. It's magical thinking, baseless in reality. Unless you have some specific evidence that this produce is harmful (which you don't), you're just talking out of ignorance and fear.

The problem I see here is the inverse of the problem in the 60's. Back then, people thought something was good because it was made in a lab. Novelty became a substitute for quality. Now we condemn anything that was made in a lab, but think anything natural is great. That's about as stupid, only in reverse. If something made in a lab is better, for whatever reason, then I'll use the lab product. If something grown in the ground is better, then I'll use that. I'll pay more for so-called "organic" beef and eggs because I think the methods those producers use is more humane, not because of some stupid knee-jerk prejudice against "chemistry" (talk about biting the hand that feeds you, considering how dependent we are on chemistry in all aspects of our lives)

It's sad that fear and propaganda has made such a self-evidently true proposition like "better living through chemistry" (and make no mistake, you ARE living better because of chemistry, no matter how you deny it) something people snicker at!

Sorry for the rant, lol. Just had to get that off my chest.

what he said.

Jello Whip 'n Chill

Yes, the original Jello Whip 'n Chill still exists. I have an unopened box from the late 60s-early 70s. Of course, I don't think it can be eaten. I also have Dream Whip and Royal Jello. All old. Since I'm new, I can't post a pic. Rebecca

Yes, the original Jello Whip 'n Chill still exists. I have an unopened box from the late 60s-early 70s. Of course, I don't think it can be eaten. I also have Dream Whip and Royal Jello. All old. Since I'm new, I can't post a pic. Rebecca

Welcome to DC Rebecca aka rmclean65. It is fun to reminisce about childhood foods.

Whip n Chill

I have purchased the whip n chill from the Vermont Country Store. I have made the product and served it. I divided the contents and fixed it two ways. This was OK since it was for a holiday dinner. I have one more package. I would like to divide it so that it serves a family of four several times. Right now it serves 28 or 30 for one occasion. I'm wondering if one of you folks has a package that either says the weight and or instructions on it that would give me the proportions of liquid and mix? I've already experimented with one package and got close but not the best results. With only one more bag I'm trying to maximize my success rate. I read the thread that mentioned a very old package or box that one or more of you folks have. Is it OK to share this info? Am I being to selfish and to forward asking this favor? I haven't done anything for this group as Im new. Well I hope I get a response since this thread is a bit old but to me information is timeless and valuable. Thanks for your consideration. Nellie

Whip n Chill

I'm baaaaaack! read more of these related posts. Jell-o 123 is different than Whip n Chill. There are seperate types of layers. The classic clear jello layer is on the bottom the creamy light pudding type of layer is above the clear one and lastly is a very lite foamy but firm layer on top. I bought some Dr. Oetaker whip and tried it. The results were close to but not the same as Whip n Chill. I read the rules today and my interpretation is that information on the box could be typed out as it is not a recipe but a picture of the box might be a rule breaker. I'm going to check with an administrator soon.

On a different subject. I'm looking for a recipe for watermelon pickles that you soak overnight in some mixture of sugar vinegar alum water and cinnamon redhots. A neighbor who didn't cook alot came back from a visit up in Washington state and shared them with me and excitedly tried to tell me how she did it. I'm not a canning person so I didn't retain the info very well but the memory of tasting them has. They certainly weren't done in the usual way pickles are made some boiling and adding the rind and letting it sit either on the counter or in the frig til the next morning. WOW!

I've been doing some house clean-up and came upon a 1965 Jello pamphlet called "Magical Desserts with WHip 'n Chill". I found a recipe that I'm sure my mother used to make with the Strawberry flavor, using sour cream. I used to LOVE it! But my brother told me he thought it was horrible! LOL

BTW, Nellie, I'm sure if you contact the Jello folks, they could tell you the weight of the original package so you can divide that huge package you got from Vermont Country Store. The picture in my cookbook doesn't show the weight and I don't see any reference in the recipes either.
Other than that, you could calculate using your own package, the # of oz., cups of water, and the servings it produces and figure a per-serving amount. But I suppose you've already figured that one out!

I'm going to look at the Vermont Country Store to see if they sell Strawberry. There are recipes to use it as frosting, too, by using cream instead of water. If the artificial ingredients don't get you, the cream will! But what a way to go!

There's a reason Whip N' Chill isn't sold any longer... It tasted like.... :-p

Thanks Freida! I was glad someone supporting this group sent me an e-mail to let me know you replied. I actually own that cooking pamphlet and your right not one photo reveals the critical inst. or box weight or size info. I already visited the Jell-o folks and they were silent on this topic. Are they embarrassed? I am looking on e-bay for an old box of WhipnChill. Wish me luck.

Time flies but Jell-o doesn't support answering such questions. At least not to little 'ol me. I'm still looking for info off a package or an old ad that shows the box with weight or instructions. Oh well till then I'm still in the twilight zone. Thanks for this site.

I LOVED chocolate "Whip & Chill" as a kid, & mom would buy & make it for us as a special treat. It was what it was.

Sorry folks, but food is a personal thing. One person's "nasty" is another person's "delight". No need to trash it.

Whip 'n Chill

Dear Wyogal, I like your name. Oh yes dividing worked but only if your dividing the commercial size in half. for smaller portions it's trickier and at $18.95 plus shipping it's expensive R&D (research and development). I've already experimented on one package and had one close result and three really unsuccessful results so far. I think knowing the weight from a box and the volume of liquid needed would help. So my search continues. Thanks for responding.

Dear Breezy Cooking: Thanks for the sentiment! I agree. We shop Farmers Markets and eat really healthy almost all the time but for fun or a treat from nostalgia land we do enjoy ourselves.

Last edited:

Attachments

• Strawberry Whip 'n Chill, 1960's.bmp
    79.1 KB · Views: 222
Back
Top Bottom