"WHIP and CHILL" does it still exist?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I went back to the very first post. Great reading. I was surprised at how many new readers were posting for the first time, yet you don't see them here today. :angel:

Be glade!;)

My mother used to make gingerbread all the time for me. One time she bought that whipped cream in a box. I immediately scraped it all off and refused to eat it. From that day forward she only made whipped cream from real whipping heavy cream.

All those new convenience foods of the 50's and 60's were not so convenient if they were going to be fed to the garbage pail. :angel:

My mother used to make gingerbread all the time for me. One time she bought that whipped cream in a box. I immediately scraped it all off and refused to eat it. From that day forward she only made whipped cream from real whipping heavy cream.

All those new convenience foods of the 50's and 60's were not so convenient if they were going to be fed to the garbage pail. :angel:
I think we were suckers for the manufactured foods of the fifties in Britain because:
1. many originated from the USA and therefore were incredibly glamorous. (Yes, really!)

2. people had got used to food being a problem and boring during 15 years of rationing.

These foods were much in demand not only for convenience but because they were hyped as "good" for the family and the housewife was pressured by brightly coloured, "perfect family" advertising into thinking that using them showed that she loved her family and was looking after them properly.

Do any of the Brits round here remember "Vesta" freeze-dried curries, chow mein and paella in the '60s? IIRC you just added boiling water. Supposed to be a treat but enough to put anyone off foreign foods for life!

My mum used to make a "whipped topping" from evaporated milk, lemon juice, and powdered sugar. It was really quite nice. When I tasted real whipped cream, I found it too rich. (Not any more.)

I think we were suckers for the manufactured foods of the fifties in Britain because:
1. many originated from the USA and therefore were incredibly glamorous. (Yes, really!)

2. people had got used to food being a problem and boring during 15 years of rationing.

These foods were much in demand not only for convenience but because they were hyped as "good" for the family and the housewife was pressured by brightly coloured, "perfect family" advertising into thinking that using them showed that she loved her family and was looking after them properly.

Do any of the Brits round here remember "Vesta" freeze-dried curries, chow mein and paella in the '60s? IIRC you just added boiling water. Supposed to be a treat but enough to put anyone off foreign foods for life!

Sounds like mid century marketing here too!

Most of our infomercials (half hour long shows selling one product) are often hosted by a Brit or an Aussie, I guess that some find people from those places more informed, more reliable or something, not exactly sure.

My mum used to make a "whipped topping" from evaporated milk, lemon juice, and powdered sugar. It was really quite nice. When I tasted real whipped cream, I found it too rich. (Not any more.)

My mom made a "cheesecake" that one ingredient was whipped evaporated milk. Calling this dessert a cheesecake was a stretch, but I loved it as a kid. I might have to make it sometime for nostalgia's sake.

No, it is not the single packets like we used to get, it is a 15 ounce bulk package that makes several servings. It is still made, but only in the bulk size.

Wow! This has to be one of the oldest threads ever revived! It's originally from 2002, which I think is when D.C. first started.

Funny how a topic about this keeps turning back up....... :LOL:

Why,oh why? I had thought this horrid memory had faded for good since last brought to light!:ohmy::LOL:

Wow......what memories.......the only time I eat jello is when I'm given the "cleansing" diet prior to a colonscopy........you're so hungry you'll eat ANYTHING.....chemicals and all.......:)

I wish I could help you but I am totally clueless. I have never even heard of Whip and Chill. Sorry. Hopefully someone else will have your answer. Thanks for stopping by though and please hang around with us!!

I remember only too well Whip n Chill...3 flavors Chocolate, Lemon, strawberry..maybe Vanilla? My favorite thing to do was to bake a pie shell and use this as the filling and topped with whipped cream...took less than hour to bake..very decadent..and cheap too. Why the hell did they stop making it...someone from that era needs to come up with an answer

I remember it quite well.

63746bbd6c5e05fa8d312bf6b41a6d2d.jpg

Check out Pinterest for any nostalgia subjects.

Chocolate, Vanilla, Strawberry, & Lemon

TV Commercial for Whip & Chill 1968

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56IWl-Ulik4

Youtube Hack of Whip & Chill

https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zmEfszhaVA

If I were making this, I think I'd use a wire whisk to whip more air into it instead of a wooden spoon.

Whip & Chill came onto the market around 1967, and Cool Whip came onto the market in 1966 from Birdseye division of General Foods.

Just my guess here....people figured out how to make the stuff cheaper by combining store brand instant chocolate pudding with store brand versions of cool whip. ;)

As I remember Whip & Chill was more expensive and was one of those "Trick" products
of the times like Jello's 1-2-3 or Junket's Danish Deserts. These items would naturally stratify so you wouldn't have to bother with making the layers and waiting to pour them over the back of a spoon to achieve the multiple stratus. Thus it automatically took the work out of it for the cook. But that came at a price.

Last edited:
You can get whip n chill from jello online. My Mom used it to make Grasshopper pie. What works in place of it is Marshmellow creme.

Back
Top Bottom