"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 03-22-2014, 11:52 AM   #61
Sous Chef

This looks like a revived old post. I find Whip 'n Chill available at Amazon.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:59 AM   #62
Wine Guy

Wow! Someone managed to once again resurrect a 12-year old thread.

And I've STILL never heard of this product.

Old 03-22-2014, 12:34 PM   #63
Chef Extraordinaire

I went back to the very first post. Great reading. I was surprised at how many new readers were posting for the first time, yet you don't see them here today.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:38 PM   #64
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Wow! Someone managed to once again resurrect a 12-year old thread.

And I've STILL never heard of this product.
Be glade!
Old 03-22-2014, 01:10 PM   #65
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Be glade!
My mother used to make gingerbread all the time for me. One time she bought that whipped cream in a box. I immediately scraped it all off and refused to eat it. From that day forward she only made whipped cream from real whipping heavy cream.

All those new convenience foods of the 50's and 60's were not so convenient if they were going to be fed to the garbage pail.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:25 PM   #66
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
My mother used to make gingerbread all the time for me. One time she bought that whipped cream in a box. I immediately scraped it all off and refused to eat it. From that day forward she only made whipped cream from real whipping heavy cream.

All those new convenience foods of the 50's and 60's were not so convenient if they were going to be fed to the garbage pail.
I think we were suckers for the manufactured foods of the fifties in Britain because:
1. many originated from the USA and therefore were incredibly glamorous. (Yes, really!)

2. people had got used to food being a problem and boring during 15 years of rationing.

These foods were much in demand not only for convenience but because they were hyped as "good" for the family and the housewife was pressured by brightly coloured, "perfect family" advertising into thinking that using them showed that she loved her family and was looking after them properly.

Do any of the Brits round here remember "Vesta" freeze-dried curries, chow mein and paella in the '60s? IIRC you just added boiling water. Supposed to be a treat but enough to put anyone off foreign foods for life!
Old 03-23-2014, 12:49 PM   #67
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
My mum used to make a "whipped topping" from evaporated milk, lemon juice, and powdered sugar. It was really quite nice. When I tasted real whipped cream, I found it too rich. (Not any more.)
Old 03-23-2014, 01:14 PM   #68
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I think we were suckers for the manufactured foods of the fifties in Britain because:
1. many originated from the USA and therefore were incredibly glamorous. (Yes, really!)

2. people had got used to food being a problem and boring during 15 years of rationing.

These foods were much in demand not only for convenience but because they were hyped as "good" for the family and the housewife was pressured by brightly coloured, "perfect family" advertising into thinking that using them showed that she loved her family and was looking after them properly.

Do any of the Brits round here remember "Vesta" freeze-dried curries, chow mein and paella in the '60s? IIRC you just added boiling water. Supposed to be a treat but enough to put anyone off foreign foods for life!
Sounds like mid century marketing here too!

Most of our infomercials (half hour long shows selling one product) are often hosted by a Brit or an Aussie, I guess that some find people from those places more informed, more reliable or something, not exactly sure.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 01:16 PM   #69
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
My mum used to make a "whipped topping" from evaporated milk, lemon juice, and powdered sugar. It was really quite nice. When I tasted real whipped cream, I found it too rich. (Not any more.)
My mom made a "cheesecake" that one ingredient was whipped evaporated milk. Calling this dessert a cheesecake was a stretch, but I loved it as a kid. I might have to make it sometime for nostalgia's sake.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 01:12 AM   #70
Assistant Cook

No, it is not the single packets like we used to get, it is a 15 ounce bulk package that makes several servings. It is still made, but only in the bulk size.

Tags
None