"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 07-01-2002, 11:16 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

"WHIP and CHILL" does it still exist?

HELP!!! Does anyone remember a dessert mix called "WHIP and CHILL"? If so....can you tell me how to replicate that texture for pudding or any other dessert? I'm desperate!

Old 07-02-2002, 09:57 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I wish I could help you but I am totally clueless. I have never even heard of Whip and Chill. Sorry. Hopefully someone else will have your answer. Thanks for stopping by though and please hang around with us!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 09:26 AM   #3
Sous Chef

Site Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Andy R Send a message via AIM to Andy R Send a message via MSN to Andy R Send a message via Yahoo to Andy R Send a message via Skype™ to Andy R
Quote:
Whip ’n Chill: One of the most popular desserts of the sixties, Whip ’n Chill was a strange one, similar in texture and taste to mousse, but with a faint tang of chemical design. Its ingredient list reads like a toxic waste dump posting: propylene glycol monostearate, sodium casienate, acetylated monoglycerides, cellulose gum, hydroxylated lecithin, sodium silico aluminate and sodium stearoyl-2- lactylate. During the sixties, the artificiality of Whip ’n Chill had a novelty appeal. People still believed in the space age, and Dow Chemical Company’s motto was “Better Living Through Chemistry.” With the end of the space-age, Whip ’n Chill’s novelty was replaced with horror when people began to realize just what they had been eating.
- Taken from: www.popvoid.com/pdfs/obit.pdf
Old 07-23-2002, 01:15 PM   #4
Cook

Whip n Chill

All I can remember is DreamWhip. When I see the ingredients in some of the convenience foods, it gives me the creeps...all those awful chemicals. I personally, despite the high cholesterol, would prefer whipped cream with a bit of sugar in it and skip the ready made stuff.
Old 07-23-2002, 05:47 PM   #5
Senior Cook

I do remember Whip 'n Chill. I thought it was nasty...had a "Tang" flavor to it...at least the variety my mother made....and I thought ( and still do think) Tang was incredibly horrible.
I also remember a "Magical Jello " recipe....where the dissolved mixture is beat with a mixer till it foams on top, then poured into dessert glasses, the foamy stuff coming to the top, then chilled. It was pretty.....not very good though. Whip 'n Chill, and this jello creation were desserts on the few nights a week that mother attempted to cook. We preferred the nights our father cooked, with homemade ice cream, pecan pralines, fudge, pecan "sandie" cookies, or chocolate cake for dessert.
Old 05-07-2005, 05:19 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Whip 'n Chill

I happened to be wondering about this long ago dessert today & my search brought me here. Although this is from 2002, here's what I found...visit www.fabulousfoods.com for info where you can still buy this & also a couple of recipes to copy it using Jello. It may have been loaded with junk, but I do remember us kids really liked it!! Maybe the recipes you'll find there are healthier.

claudcase
Old 11-03-2007, 09:12 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Jello Whip and Chill does exist

Go to Vermont Country store. They carry it.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:13 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Whip and Chill does still exist

Go to Vermont Country Store web site. They do carry it in 15 0z packages
Old 05-06-2008, 08:41 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norma View Post
I do remember Whip 'n Chill. I thought it was nasty...had a "Tang" flavor to it...at least the variety my mother made....and I thought ( and still do think) Tang was incredibly horrible.
I also remember a "Magical Jello " recipe....where the dissolved mixture is beat with a mixer till it foams on top, then poured into dessert glasses, the foamy stuff coming to the top, then chilled. It was pretty.....not very good though. Whip 'n Chill, and this jello creation were desserts on the few nights a week that mother attempted to cook. We preferred the nights our father cooked, with homemade ice cream, pecan pralines, fudge, pecan "sandie" cookies, or chocolate cake for dessert.
I stumbled across this thread while trying to find out when Whip 'n Chill was discontinued, I remember liking it as a child.
The Jello that separated was called Jello 1-2-3 I'm pretty sure
Dan
Old 05-06-2008, 08:55 PM   #10
Master Chef

They have this great video that plays at the Museum of Science and Industry, I forget exactly what section it is in, where it shows how a 'lemon meringue pie' is commercially produced.
We stood there and watched it for 15 minutes waiting for some sort of fruit or ingredient we recognized to be add, it never was.... just chemical mix after chemical mix.
Of course I am sure they picked the worst one they could find for the video, LOL.

Tags
None