"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 09-24-2005, 05:46 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Whipped Cream that remains fluffed??

I would like an expert opinion this is another one of our long standing mysteries...
When we whip up some fresh cream, it usually go flat after a while and it doesn't maintain the whipped form very long. However, we have seen those beautiful looking cakes in the shop windows of confectioners with mounds of whipped cream still holding itself up perfectly. They definetely don't look like butter cream, and I am quite sure, in such decent bakeries they wouldn't use something like cool whip (or I surely hope so!!)... is there a trick to keeping the whipped cream fluffed up without going down??
I would appreciate any enlightening!!

Old 09-24-2005, 07:08 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Bakery products use stabilizers if they're using real whipped cream; I believe cream tartar is one; there is also a product we can get here called 'Whip-It" that acts as a stabilizer. Even so, whipped cream just doesn't have a long shelf life.

I've seen bakery products use some sort of fake 'whipped cream' on their products (usually the supermarket baked goods, and more inexpensive bakeries), but I don't know what they use. It tastes of chemicals, not the beautiful sweet taste of real whipped cream.

Old 09-24-2005, 07:20 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Yes I have seen this kind of fake mixes sold(the powdered thing to which you add milk and whip) and tried it once, and like you, I didn't care for its flavour at all. I know the real whipped cream doesn't last that long no matter what, but l always thought it would be nice if I could prepare something like birthday cake a little ahead of time (a couple of hours before the party) if the cake could maintain its look a little longer. You mentioned cream of tartar, that explains I have seen it in many recipes for cakes etc. I never thought of it as a stabilizer, I think we have some in our cupboard I surely will give it a try.
Old 09-24-2005, 08:33 AM   #4
Master Chef

If I can remember to, I will ask my sister what she uses to make hers stay firm. She may even use the fake stuff, I don't know.
Old 09-24-2005, 08:45 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl
If I can remember to, I will ask my sister what she uses to make hers stay firm. She may even use the fake stuff, I don't know.
Thanks!! I appreciate it!! And take care of yourself, too... I am not sure exactly what you are suffering with, but I do hope they will not find anything serious and everything will turn out okay!!
Old 09-24-2005, 09:12 AM   #6
Master Chef

It may be tomorrow or Monday before she is sane enough to ask :o)
Her dad and other family members are up here from the evacuation areas and she had a friend killed in a motorcycle accident Tuesday and had the funeral yesterday. So, her household is a little upside down right now :o)
Old 09-24-2005, 09:26 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Oh dear!! My whipped cream issue is not THAT urgent, please do not disturb her with such trifles while she has got so much to deal with!! Just don't worry about it for the moment... when everything gets back to normal I will gently remind you about it But I really appreciate your consideration, it's the thought that counts, and that is very true!! Thanx sweetie!!
Old 09-24-2005, 10:05 AM   #8
Master Chef

Your very welcome!!
Old 09-24-2005, 02:44 PM   #9
Cook

When I worked in the catering business the pastry chef we had used a product called
sweetex when he made anything that was fake and was just for looks. It was a sugar based product that came in a five gallon pail and resembled ther texture of Crisco. You could add food coloring to it and looked just like whipped cream frosting when finished
and would last forever.
Old 09-25-2005, 06:59 AM   #10
Senior Cook

Winning Whipping Cream

Fat content has a lot to do with how well cream whips. When you whip cream, you incorporate air into it in the form of miniature bubbles. These air pockets are what give the whipped cream its light, fluffy texture. Whipped cream, therefore, is actually an emulsion: The watery nonfat portion of the cream that encloses the bubbles is supported by the fat. Thus, the more fat in your cream (up to a point!), the more effectively the encased bubbles will be supported.

"Heavy" whipping cream (about 40% m.f.) increases more in volume than regular (30-35% m.f.).

Gelatin is the most practical, generally dependable, and least-costly ingredient for domestic cooks to add as a whipped-cream stabilizer. Lucid instructions are povided on this Web page:

http://www.baking911.com/howto/cream_whip.htm

The professional approach is to introduce a stabilizer (such high-grade products as SC3 from Patisfrance or Swissmade Cobasan), into the cream in order to enhance its structure by restricting water loss and to prolong its buoyant shelf-life appearance.

North Americans (at least according to the opinion of many European tourists) tend to overwhip cream. Yet, whipped cream is more luscious, and blends better with whatever it accompanies, when beaten to a moderately soft stage.

Tags
None