"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy
Old 08-26-2004, 06:53 PM   #11
Sous Chef
Tastes like flour? Are you talking about raw flour or some other taste? I'm wondering if you're confusing the taste of something else for the bad flour taste. There have been instances where I have tasted bad biscuits that had too much baking powder in them. In this case, they have a slightly bitter chemical taste.

I'm just having a hard time getting my mind around this.

Sometimes, flour has a lot of moisture in it so it actually measures out too heavy and you get more flour than expected and what you're making comes out more doughy.

Is there a chance that you're using a different brand of flour? If so, go back to the old brand.

I wish I could help you more, but I'm just not understanding exactly what you're saying because in my mind, all items with flour in them has a certain "flour" flavor where you know that there's flour in it.

Psiguyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 11:45 AM   #12
Originally Posted by Alix
tgrlily...You must sift your flour...otherwise you will end up with too much in your recipe. You don't need a special sifter, just some kind of screen thing will do. Also try to make sure that there are no lumps left...that can sometimes give your food a "floury" taste. Sure hope you get it all worked out.
You can use a wire whisk, too, in your cannister or a bowl to lighten up the flour. Then measure it by scooping it into the measuring cup with a large spoon, and leveling it off the top with the handle of the spoon, a spatula or knife.

The only reason to really sift it through a screen is in case you think there might be lumps or foreign matter (Like bugs!!!eww!)

chefcyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 09:49 AM   #13
Executive Chef
I'm with PSIGuy - Could it be the baking powder taste?
marmalady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 11:19 AM   #14
Assistant Cook
Send a message via AIM to ParrotheadLizzy Send a message via Yahoo to ParrotheadLizzy
I'd definitely start by sifting the flour before measuring - and not shaking it when it is in the measuring cup (or whatever you use), it settles and packs itself, and you'll definitely have more flour than you'll need!

Good luck!
"That's all I want - la vie dasante...."

~*~*Jimmy Buffett*~*~
ParrotheadLizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 09:31 AM   #15
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by chefcyn
The only reason to really sift it through a screen is in case you think there might be lumps or foreign matter (Like bugs!!!eww!)
Because the grains are separated by air, sifted flour will incorporate with liquids quicker. This works well when you're trying to avoid gluten formation from overmixing.

scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote