"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 07-21-2004, 07:38 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Why Does Everything I Bake Taste Like Flour??

This last month it's been particularly bad. Right now I'm trying to make blueberry muffins and the batter tastes a little gritty and a lot like flour!

I even added less flour than the recipe called for, and splashed in a little more milk and sugar.

What's the problem here? Does the age of the flour matter in baking?

Old 07-22-2004, 08:22 AM   #2
Senior Cook

do your recipes call for Vanilla or any other flavoring to take away from the flour??
I've never had that happen. :?:

Old 07-22-2004, 01:40 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Well, lol, some do, and some don't.

If it says to "sift dry ingredients together" do I need to do that if the flour is presifted? And what about if I don't have a sifter?

It's so confusing. Actually, I did add vanilla to the recipe last night and it tasted a little better, but only in certain parts of the muffins! It was so thick it was hard to mix.... *whines* I used to be so good at cooking.

And I bought a new bag of flour,so it isn't the age...
Old 07-22-2004, 03:40 PM   #4
Everymom

tgrlily...You must sift your flour...otherwise you will end up with too much in your recipe. You don't need a special sifter, just some kind of screen thing will do. Also try to make sure that there are no lumps left...that can sometimes give your food a "floury" taste. Sure hope you get it all worked out.
Old 07-25-2004, 12:17 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Thanks, I'll try getting a sifter (or something like that). :D
Old 07-26-2004, 11:05 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to cooking=love
muffins

Is it possible that you overmixed it? I have done that before. It will make muffins kinda hard and not very tasty.
You can sift or mix alot before liquid hits it, then when it gets wet it starts developing the gluten.
Old 08-05-2004, 06:27 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Sifting flour is useless, unless you're making something super-delicate, like an angel food cake or a genoise. For something like muffins, unless you have totally messed up the recipe, there is no reason for what you are describing to happen. You are definitely doing something horribly wrong, and it has nothing to do with sifting. Why don't you explain exactly how you are measuring ingredients, how you are mixing them, and then how you are baking them.
Old 08-05-2004, 07:15 PM   #8
Everymom

Jason, I am sure you know much more about baking than I do, but I have run into a similar problem and solved it by sifting and measuring the flour AFTER sifting.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:18 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Hmmm. That's very surpising. How exactly do you measure your flour? You're not packing it down when you measure it, are you?
Old 08-05-2004, 08:40 PM   #10
Everymom

Not any more! That was one of those things that your mom thinks she has taught you...but forgot. I think that might be part of tgrlily's trouble. Measuring flour is one of those things that someone needs to tell you about. I have no trouble now, but for a while I made a lot of hockey pucks! I wonder if altitude is also an issue. I know that there is some rule if you are at a higher or lower altitude, but can't remember it right now.

Tags
None