Would like to make cherry frosting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SueBear

Senior Cook
Ok, I'm wondering if I can take a basic buttercream recipe, add some cherry chips to it and come up with a light icing. I have a vanilla cake that I've been wanting to make and was thinking that would be a really nice light frosting since it will be two 9" pans.

Can anyone possibly help me out?

Thanks in advance everyone!

Sue

I think, IMHO, that you would just end up with buttercream frosting full of cherry chips. Which, if you made a vanilla buttercream might not be that bad.
but, I think I would go with a basic boiled frosting so you could melt the cherry chips into it and get a cherry frosting that way.
Or, the reverse is to make the cake with the cherry chips in it and just use a vanilla buttercream frosting to top it, or half and half with half the chips in the cake and half of them melted into a boiled frosting.

what I was going to do was melt the chips into the buttercream and add them in. I forgot to add that.. my mistake.

If they can't be melted first then added into the butter cream icing I'll have to do up a different icing all together then which is no problem, I was just curious since that is what I had planned. I appreciate your help. Thanks.

What about the syrup from maraschino cherries? It's not exactly genuine cherry flavor, but it might be easier to mix into the frosting.

Would using real, live, honest-to-goodness cherries be out of the question? I believe they're still available in the supermarket, in California anyway.

The cherry chips might make a pretty decoration on the buttercream if the melting doesn't work. I would test a little batch with the melted chips. Or melt the cherry chips and drizzle on top of the icing you usually make. I hope you tell us how it worked out.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom