Bacon in Brownies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyndalou

Head Chef
I am making brownies to bring to a friend's house on Sunday (Super Bowl go Giants)

I may just make them from a Ghirardelli mix but would like to add bacon to the mix. What do you think? Have any of you done this? I love the idea of the bacon and chocolate together. Should I frost the brownies? Let me know what you think.

lyndalou, the very idea makes me flinch a little so I applaud you for being so adventurous. I think you need to decide how much you want the bacon flavor to come out. If you frost the brownies that will likely overwhelm any taste from the bacon. Just my 2 cents, but there you go. Post after you're done and tell us what you did please.

Haven't had a bacon brownie but tried some Toll House-type cookies w/bacon, and they were good...The sweet/salty combo was pleasing. I'm with Alix on the frosting; it might be too much. Looking forward to seeing what you think.

Thanks. I'll ditch the frosting part.

The Ghirardelli Double Chocolate Brownies are really good, with extra crispy bacon...they would be killer.

I frosted my last batch with straight peanut butter...they were great.

I would ice them and sprinkle the crunchy bacon on top while the icing is still warm. maybe a maple or PB icing.

I would think the bacon would get mushy if cooked inside but I have never tried it.

On edit: My wife made those brownies in mini bundt pans and then dipped the tops in chocolate and sprinkled with crushed canes. They were a big hit and the stuff stayed on top. Maybe butterscotch chips melted with bacon.

Last edited:
I think bacon would go well with brownies... bacon or chocolate makes everything better, including each other. :)

I am not a fan of frosted brownies and I like them chewy. If I was doing this (and I just might) I would be sure the bacon is crisped very well, and very small pieces. You should try a test run (or three) and you get to eat the experiments. :mrgreen:

This would not interest me but, having said that, I think crispy bacon bits or bacos sprinkled on the frosting would be the way to go.

I am not going to use frosting. I will cook the bacon separately, until crisp and add it to the batter. I bought the dark chocolate mix. I think it'll be great.

I'm sure it can be done. I've heard about something very similar sometime in the last year or two, probably a cooking section on some other forum. I'm sure it was the combination of chocolate and bacon. At first I was a little bit appalled (back then) but after thinking it over I decided it might be good. I agree with what Girl49 said above, that sweet and salty are a good combination.

I'm sure the combination of brownies and bacon will please some people, although it wouldn't surprise me if some refuse to try it. After thinking it over I'm sure I would try it. I'll be looking forward to hearing how they came out. :)

Last edited:
I'm sure it can be done. I've heard about something very similar sometime in the last year or two, probably a cooking section on some other forum. I'm sure it was the combination of chocolate and bacon. At first I was a little bit appalled (back then) but after thinking it over I decided it might be good. I agree with what Girl49 said above, that sweet and salty are a good combination.

I'm sure the combination of brownies and bacon will please some people, although it wouldn't surprise me if some refuse to try it. After thinking it over I'm sure I would try it. I'll be looking forward to hearing how they came out. :)

I would try it if someone offered me a piece. I tried chocolate chip cookies with bacon. I thought they were edible, but a waste of chocolate and a waste of bacon. I expect I would feel the same about bacon with brownies. I won't be making it.

No, I won't be making it either. I doubt I'll ever have an opportunity to try it otherwise but there's just so many things to cook that you have to pick and choose.

Upon thinking this recipe over I think it would be a good idea to try to avoid getting the bacon too crispy. I think chewy would be a better texture because I would worry about the brownies getting too dry.

Well, i chickened out. I made my brownies without the bacon, frosted them with p'nut butter frosting and they were a hit. I am going to experiment with the bacon and chocolate another time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom