"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Brownies & Dessert Bars
Old 05-12-2005, 11:49 AM   #1
Head Chef
Best Ever Brownies

Best-Ever Brownies

guys! i found this just now on a baking site and i'm gonna try it tomorrow,dont they look delicious?

From Baking with Julia:

"Those who are passionate about brownies argue in defense of their favorite type, cakey or fudgey. If you're a cakey fan, go on to another recipe. These are the epitome of soft, dark, "baked just until barely set" brownies. Their creamy texture makes them seem wildly luxurious and very much a treat to be metered out in small servings (just small enough for a scoop of ice cream and some chocolate sauce).

The mixing method is unorthodox for a brownie. Half of an egg-sugar mixture is stirred into the melted chocolate and butter, while the other half is whipped until it thickens and doubles in volume. The lightened eggs are folded into the chocolate with a delicate touch, as are the dry ingredients--tricks that enhance the brownies' lovely texture".....Julia Child, from Baking with Julia

1 1/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 sticks (1 cup/8 ounces/226g) unsalted butter
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
2 cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
4 large eggs

Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 C).

Sift the flour and salt together and set aside.

Melt the butter and chocolate together in a medium saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently and keeping a watchful eye on the pot to make certain the chocolate doesn't scorch. (Alternatively, you can melt the ingredients in the dop of a double boiler over, not touching, simmering water.) Add 1 cup of the sugar to the mixture and stir for half a minute, then remove the pan from the heat and stir in the vanilla. Pour the mixture in a large bowl.

Put the remaining 1 cup sugar and eggs into the bowl of a mixer (or a mixing bowl if you're using a hand-held mixer) and whisk by hand just to combine. Little by little, pour half of the sugar and eggs into the chocolate mixture, stirring gently but constantly with a rubber spatula so the eggs don't set from the heat. Fit the whisk attachment to the mixer and whip the remaining sugar and eggs until they are thick, pale, and doubled in volume, about 3 minutes. Using the rubber spatula, delicately fold the whipped eggs into the chocolate mixture. When the eggs are almost completely incorporated, gently fold in dry ingredients.

Cooking Instructions
Pour and scrape the batter into an unbuttered 9-inch square pan. Bake the brownies for 25 to 28 minutes, during which time they will rise a little and the top will turn dark and dry. Cut into the center at about the 23-minute mark to see how the brownies are progressing They'll be perfect if they're just barely set and still pretty gooey. They're still awfully good on the other side of set, so don't worry if you miss the moment on your first try. Cool the brownies in the pan on a rack. Cut into 1 1/2 by 3-inch bars to serve.

The brownies will keep, covered, for 2 to 3 days at room temperature and can be frozen for up to a month. Thaw, still wrapped, at room temperature. These never freeze solid, so you might want to think about using them as a mix-in for ice cream.

Makes 18 brownies.

Don't let love interfere with your appetite. It never does with mine.
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 11:57 AM   #2
Master Chef
They look REAL good.

texasgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 12:27 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
They look wonderful. I can almost smell them!
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
pdswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 09:00 PM   #4
Executive Chef
Sarah, I'm licking my screen. Looks like chocolate heaven. Thanks for sharing.
mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 09:32 PM   #5
Executive Chef
Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
What is it about any recipe that claims to be "the best ever" that just whispers in your ear "make me, make me!" For me it's the nagging desire to see if the recipe in question really is the best. These do look divine, one for the recipe book!

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 08:02 AM   #6
Assistant Cook
They look mouth watering! Please give a review!
TexCin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 10:00 AM   #7
Assistant Cook
I've been designated the chef for this weekend by my girlfriend and think I'll try these out to surprise her

She abosolutely loves brownies. Maybe this will get me some points
gettingbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 10:32 PM   #8
Senior Cook
Send a message via AIM to bluespanishsky
yum these look great! I love making all different types of brownies. I'll have to try these out.
bluespanishsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 02:35 AM   #9
Assistant Cook
They look really good, has anyone tried to bake it yet?

*Christina* is offline   Reply With Quote