Bread in a jar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

papabuddy

Assistant Cook
Im just learning to make bread in a jar. My problem is when I take it out of the oven. Bread is spotty looks like its not done in spots. what could be my problem. I may not be asking the right ? After bread is cooled I take one out of jar it taste good.

Hello, and welcome to DC.

I’ve never heard of bread in a jar. Could you post a recipe or a link? It sounds interesting!

Welcome to the forum!

With all of the bread I have made, and all the bread books I have, I had never seen a reference to this, either. The only jar I could imagine baking it in would be the tapered pint mason jar (also ok for freezing, for the same reason), otherwise the jars would break, if the bread pressed into the neck. When I googled "bread in a jar" that's what I found!

What's the purpose of this type of bread? I bake in all sizes of cans - many of the coffee cans are no longer available - when I want round loaves, for certain lunch meats.

I used to use pyrex loaf pans, and I remember that the bread browned faster, so I had to reduce the oven heat by 25°, so they would bake through, before getting too browned. However, I don't recall the crust being "spotty" in the glass pans.

Im just learning to make bread in a jar. My problem is when I take it out of the oven. Bread is spotty looks like its not done in spots. what could be my problem. I may not be asking the right ? After bread is cooled I take one out of jar it taste good.

Try baking them in a water bath.

I have made bread in a jar many times, but it is
quick bread, not yeast bread. Banana ,apple ect.
Haven't made it in years. You use wide mouth jars .
As soon as you take them out of the oven you put
the lid on and they seal.

Josie

Josie
They may seal, but that didn't doesn't make them shelf-stable.

:)Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie1945 View Post

Josie
They may seal, but that didn't doesn't make them shelf-stable.

GG I knew you would answer this way. I did not post a recipe
or tell anyone how to do, but I would if they PM me. My sister and
I did it for years we only made small batches and they never had
a problem.
I know you get your info from reliable sources. That is why so many
of the old traditions are not around anymore (reliable sources)

Josie

Welcome to the forum!

With all of the bread I have made, and all the bread books I have, ....

Not sure about a "jar bead", but would really love to learn and become proficient in bread making. Would you care to start a thread about breads you make, technique you use. Basically a "master class thread" on bread making. The books I have I have I think are just too smart for me, or am too stupid for them. Need somebody explain to me in a simple, simple language.

Thank you in advance.

Not sure about a "jar bead", but would really love to learn and become proficient in bread making. Would you care to start a thread about breads you make, technique you use. Basically a "master class thread" on bread making. The books I have I have I think are just too smart for me, or am too stupid for them. Need somebody explain to me in a simple, simple language.

Thank you in advance.
Do you have a Dutch oven? No knead Dutch oven bread is the easiest for people who are just starting out with bread. It’s no-fail, makes beautiful loaves every time.

DC has an entire forum on breads, with several sub-forums. You can find it here

Do you have a Dutch oven? No knead Dutch oven bread is the easiest for people who are just starting out with bread. It’s no-fail, makes beautiful loaves every time.

DC has an entire forum on breads, with several sub-forums. You can find it here
And you don't even need a Dutch oven to make it! I know they seem to be synonymous, but no-knead bread can be baked on a baking stone with a pan of water to create steam.

Thank you in advance.
Don't put yourself down, CharleyD - many bread books out there were written for advanced bakers, and with all of the references to gluten %, extraction %, starch damage, enzymes, pH, and other bread science, it can be intimidating starting out, for sure. Simply put, bread is one of those things that's easy to make, but difficult to master.

Something that sounds strange, but makes sense, after you think about it, is that the simpler breads - the white breads - are the ones that are the hardest to perfect. Getting the best flavor takes longer, multiple risings, as a rule. When I first started baking (in the 70s), most books had recipes to speed up the bread (with heat, and/or more yeast) which I found out early on, did not improve flavor. That no-knead method uses a long rise, with a small amount of yeast, and produces a good bread, but my favorites are still the ones with the pre-ferments, which are small portions of dough or batter, allowed to develop flavor, before using it to make the rest of the dough.

Things like rye bread are actually easier to make, in that you have a lot of other flavors in them -
A sour, or well fermented rye is good (sourdough, that's another thing!), and it's hard to get too sour, but even if it doesn't have much sour flavor, the other flavors will be there. You won't get a bland tasting homemade rye, unless you leave the salt out! This is something I learned by accident, early on - never leave the salt out of bread! It's like leaving the salt out of pasta water - we've all done it, and know it immediately upon tasting it!

The gluten is one aspect of the science of bread baking you need to know, and probably already do. This is what gives bread its elasticity, and high gluten (14%) bread flour is needed in pizza dough, as well as when you want to make rye bread, or other breads with low or no gluten flours. This is also good for those no-knead recipes - the higher gluten will be better activated, with the less movement of the dough.
All purpose flour has between 8 and 11% gluten, usually from 9-10%.

So what kinds of bread are you interested in making, CharleyD? And do you have a KA mixer, or some other brand with a dough hook? One thing that a mixer is best for is sticky dough. It's hard to knead a dough with high hydration by hand - it can be done, but it's messy!

Warning: it's easy to get addicted to homemade bread! Early on, I was making it to save money, when I was in school, but quickly learned how much better it was. I still haven't bought a loaf of bread since 1976! Well, I did buy some on the way over to my mother's a few times, but I told her I had to put a brown bag over my head, so nobody would recognize me. She didn't appreciate the humor in that.

Back
Top Bottom