Brown Sugar Brownies Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chocoholic

Senior Cook
Mmmmm...I made these last night. My family gobbled them up hot.

Brown Sugar Brownies

Ingredients:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter
5 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped (OR 3/4 cup + 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder and 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon vegetable oil)
2 cups packed brown sugar
3 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 to 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips, if desired

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour 9x13 inch baking pan.
In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
Melt butter and chocolate (or butter, cocoa powder and oil). Transfer to large bowl and let stand for 10 minutes.
Beat in brown sugar at medium speed. Beat until mixture is smooth and silky, about 3 minutes. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Stir in the flour mixture. Do not beat or overmix. Stir in chocolate chips, if desired.
Spread batter in the prepared pan. Bake for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs attached.

img_476294_0_72edd3da79508496ac73ed0df4c08d16.gif

I wish I had seen this recipe before I made my lemon pound cake after work.
All of these brownie threads has me thinking about brownies ALL the time!

You know, Choco, I read this just after I got back from the grocery store. I thought, oooooh, I'll buy some chocolate chips next time I go and I'll make these. Well, 4 hours later I'm sitting with keys in hand getting ready to go and buy them NOW! You are evil and wicked for doing this to me and Toots. (But thanks a million for this recipe and I'll let you know how they turned out!) lol

Mmmmm...I made these last night. My family gobbled them up hot.

Brown Sugar Brownies

Ingredients:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter
5 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped (OR 3/4 cup + 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder and 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon vegetable oil)
2 cups packed brown sugar
3 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 to 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips, if desired

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour 9x13 inch baking pan.
In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
Melt butter and chocolate (or butter, cocoa powder and oil). Transfer to large bowl and let stand for 10 minutes.
Beat in brown sugar at medium speed. Beat until mixture is smooth and silky, about 3 minutes. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Stir in the flour mixture. Do not beat or overmix. Stir in chocolate chips, if desired.
Spread batter in the prepared pan. Bake for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs attached.

Salt is mentioned in directions but not listed in ingredients. I'm going to figure about 1/4 tsp. Making it right now and just realized this was missing.

hmmm....not as disastrous as my first attempt at brownies but still a little on the dry side. I'm using the hersey's chocolate, could that be a problem? I follow the equivalence directions though I don't use vegetable oil for ANYTHING. I used extra light olive.

Salt is mentioned in directions but not listed in ingredients. I'm going to figure about 1/4 tsp. Making it right now and just realized this was missing.

Oh, sorry! The original recipe called for salt and unsalted butter. We didn't have any unsalted butter, so I just left out the salt when I made it. Forgot to erase it in the directions. :)

hmmm....not as disastrous as my first attempt at brownies but still a little on the dry side. I'm using the hersey's chocolate, could that be a problem? I follow the equivalence directions though I don't use vegetable oil for ANYTHING. I used extra light olive.

Don't everyone start laughing at the same time when I ask someone a baking question! When you say you are using the Hershey's chocolate do you mean the syrup? Did you cook them too long?

OK - that's all I know to ask.

Also, I'm assuming the butter is normally unsalted and 1/4 tsp salt is normally added to the recipe? Is that correct????

Oh, sorry! The original recipe called for salt and unsalted butter. We didn't have any unsalted butter, so I just left out the salt when I made it. Forgot to erase it in the directions. :)

Yeah, I use unsalted butter.

As for baking time (other poster) I just followed the directions. My first attempt was a total failure and I think because I kept cooking it until the toothpick came out clean. This resulted in VERY dry brownies that were only salvageable by the mint icing I put on them. These ones are edible without. So this time I just kept to the letter of the recipe as to time and temp (though I don't have an oven therm so it could be a little off).

I'll tell you what I'm expecting and then you can say whether that is reasonable. I really like the brownies that come out of making them with the mix. They are fluffy, moist and gooey with that crunchy top. I'm a bit of a masochist though and need to make everything by scratch. I just can't seem to get that consistency though. I keep getting flat and dry...kind of chalky almost like sugared fudge. I did let the chocolate and butter mix cool for ten minutes before trying to mix in the rest - Joy of Cooking says if you don't this will make exactly what I get.

Oh, and chocolate wise I'm using the powder.

Last edited:
*muffling laughter* Kitchenelf, you kill me! nroberts means that they used Hershey cocoa and the oil mixture rather than using the actual chocolate squares and melting them. You know I love you girl. Stick with the apple crisp sweetie. *running away giggling madly*

*muffling laughter* Kitchenelf, you kill me! nroberts means that they used Hershey cocoa and the oil mixture rather than using the actual chocolate squares and melting them. You know I love you girl. Stick with the apple crisp sweetie. *running away giggling madly*

Hey, why muffle the laughter - :LOL: - I don't! I hate baking! :ermm:

I just posted two recipes that you could make and would not even break a sweat. Love you!

Back
Top Bottom